SET3. Signs of The End Times Part 3
Thursday, 2 July 2020
Signs of The End Times Part 3
I. Key Signs of The EndTimes
· Mat 24:3 Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?"
Mat 24:4 And Jesus answered and said to them: "Take heed that no one deceives you.
· Jesus Response to The question Regarding the Signs of the EndTimes
· First Sign: Widespread Upheaval: “Wars and Natural Disasters(vs.6-7)
· Second Sign: Widespread Persecution Christians: “Hated of all men”(vs.9)
· Third Sign: Widespread Offences: “Many Offended& Betray”(vs.10)
· Fourth Sign: Widespread Deception: “Many False Prophets”(vs.11)
· Fifth Sign: Widespread Lawlessness: “The Love of Many will Grow Cold”(vs.12)
· Sixth Sign: Widespread Corruption & Violence: “As it was in The Days of Noah”(vs37)
II. Key Signs of The End Times (Cont)
1. Seventh Sign: As it was in The Days of Lot
· Luk 17:28 Likewise as it was also in the days of Lot: They ate, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they built; but on the day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven and destroyed them all. Even so will it be in the day when the Son of Man is revealed.
Lot dwelt in the City of Sodom. He was daily troubled by the conditions in the city
· Ezekiel Describes the Root Sins of the City of Sodom
Eze 16:49 Look, this was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: She and her daughter had pride, fullness of food, and abundance of idleness; neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.
And they were haughty and committed abomination before Me; therefore I took them away as I saw fit.
The root heart condition of Sodom was a pride and haughtiness(arrogance)
Haughtiness…blatantly and disdainfully proud, showing an attitude of superiority and contempt for people or things perceived to be inferior (MW)
· Moses Describes God’s Response to Homosexual Actions
Lev 18:22 "'Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.(NIV)
“Detestable”…..idolatry, abomination, something disgusting
· Lot was Daily Deeply Distressed by the Moral and Sexual Corruption in the City of Sodom
2Pe 2:7 and he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the depraved conduct of the lawless
“distressed”…….to wear down, to be oppressed, to treat roughly, be in great anguish, exceeding pain.
· The name of the city is the root of the word “Sodomy”.. The homosexual action of anal intercourse between males
· What were the conditions that prevailed in the Days of Lot?
Lot received two angelic visitors to the city. He insisted they spend the night in his home because of the danger they would face in the city
The men of Sodom sought to commit homosexual rape against the two angels
The angels struck the men with blindness and rescued Lot and his family
· Gen 19:1 The two angels arrived at Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gateway of the city. When he saw them, he got up to meet them and bowed down with his face to the ground.
Gen 19:2 "My lords," he said, "please turn aside to your servant's house. You can wash your feet and spend the night and then go on your way early in the morning." "No," they answered, "we will spend the night in the square."
Gen 19:3 But he insisted so strongly that they did go with him and entered his house. He prepared a meal for them, baking bread without yeast, and they ate.
Gen 19:4 Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom—both young and old—surrounded the house.
Gen 19:5 They called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them."
Gen 19:9 And they said, "Stand back!" Then they said, "This one came in to stay here, and he keeps acting as a judge; now we will deal worse with you than with them." So they pressed hard against the man Lot, and came near to break down the door. (NIV)
The Sins of Sodom
(i). Pride and Arrogance. ………………………………… Self important, despising others
(ii). Self Indulgence………………………………………………….Fulness of bread, gluttony, idleness
(iii). Cold-hearted…………………………………………………...Lack of concern for the Poor and Needy
(iv). Brazen Homosexuality…………………………………..… It was widespread and openly practiced, (vs4)
(v). Aggressive Sexual Violence ……………………….…….The city was lawless (vs.5)
(vi). Intergenerational Sexual Perversion………………Old and Young given over to sexual sin
(viii). Widespread Resistance to Truth……………………..They accused Lot of being judgmental, intolerant
· Paul Describes this Condition
Rom 1:26 For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature.
Rom 1:27 Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.
· The Bible describes 10 different categories of sin that exclude people from inheritance in the Kingdom
1Co 6:9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers (abusers), nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.
“Homosexuals”…..effeminate, male prostitute, a catamite…boy who is kept for homosexual relations
“Sodomite”…………males committing anal sexual intercourse
· What “Tolerance” Used to Mean
· Miriam Webster definition:
Sympathy or indulgence for beliefs and practices differing or conflicting with one’s own
It meant having respect for differing viewpoints and lifestyles, and treating people with respect who disagree with us on fundamental concepts or beliefs….(this leads to peace with diversity)
· Tolerance is simply the willingness to allow people to express divergent opinions without fear of retaliation. This does not guarantee acceptance or implementation of such expressions that run contrary to biblical morality
· Christ said, “…Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you…” (Mt 5:39-47).
· He never said compromise the truth. He did say do not compromise the truth and this world would hate you (Mt 5:11-12).
· You cannot force people to accept the truth whether through governmental laws or personal coercion.
· Today the word “Tolerance” has been replaced widely by “New Tolerance”
· What Does The “New Tolerance” Mean?
· The “New Tolerance” means not only respect….but also endorsement and praise
· Tolerance now means the acceptance of any idea, belief or goal proposed by anyone
· It means that it is not enough to tolerate different beliefs, lifestyles, but I must treat them as having equal value
· Disagreement now means Intolerance…
This results in being labelled..Racist, Homophobic, Islamophobic, Transphobic, Sexist,
Any attempt to reason, argue, deny or defend yourself is called “Proof of Guilt”
· Eg. In practice it is no longer sufficient to tolerate the homosexual lifestyle, I must endorse and praise it
If I do not endorse and praise, or if I question it, or hold another view…I am labeled a Homophobic, a bigot, intolerant
· If I speak an opinion that differs I am accused of “Hate Speech”
· Hate speech… defined by Cambridge Dictionary as "public speech that expresses hate or encourages violence towards a person or group based on something such as race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation".
Hate Speech has now been Redefined:
Having and Expressing a different, usually a Biblical or conservative opinion, from the favored popular ideology
· At the core of this New Tolerance is the rejection of God, and objective standards, and the belief that all lifestyles, values and beliefs are equally validity
· Jesus Statement: “I am the Way, I am the Truth”….would be labeled “Intolerant”, and “Hate Speech”
· Isa 5:20 Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness; Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!
· What are The Characteristics of “The New Tolerance”?
(i). The belief: “ All truth is Relative”…denying reality of objective truth
(ii). Intolerance. “ Rejection of any Alternative or Biblical perspective.
(iii). Insistence of Conformity … Embrace the homosexual values, and lifestyle
(iv). Demand for Abandonment of Convictions and indifference to evil
(v). Fuels Hatred for Christians……… It turns people and nations against Biblical Christianity
(vi). Teaches it is wrong to `Criticize Homosexuals, but it is Ok to bash Christians
· Gen 19:9 And they said, "Stand back!" Then they said, "This one came in to stay here, and he keeps acting as a judge; now we will deal worse with you than with them." So they pressed hard against the man Lot, and came near to break down the door. (NIV)
· Mat 24:9 "Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me.
· Jesus Mentions 8 Common Activities that Occurred Both in the Days of Noah and the Days of Lot
Luk 17:27 They ate, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and the flood came and destroyed them all.
Luk 17:28 Likewise as it was also in the days of Lot: They ate, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they built;
They were so immersed in these activities that they failed to recognize what was about to happen
Materialism and preoccupation with the cares of life blinded them to eternal realities and they suffered the consequences
· Noah was Warned by God of the coming Judgment….and built an Ark
Heb 11:7 By faith Noah, being divinely warned of things not yet seen, moved with godly fear, prepared an ark for the saving of his household,
· Lot and his wife and two daughters had to be dragged out of the city
Gen 19:14 So Lot went out and spoke to his sons-in-law, who had married his daughters, and said, "Get up, get out of this place; for the LORD will destroy this city!" But to his sons-in-law he seemed to be joking.
Gen 19:15 When the morning dawned, the angels urged Lot to hurry, saying, "Arise, take your wife and your two daughters who are here, lest you be consumed in the punishment of the city."
Gen 19:16 And while he lingered, the men took hold of his hand, his wife's hand, and the hands of his two daughters, the LORD being merciful to him, and they brought him out and set him outside the city.
Gen 19:17 So it came to pass, when they had brought them outside, that he said, "Escape for your life! Do not look behind you nor stay anywhere in the plain. Escape to the mountains, lest you be destroyed."
“Lingered”….to hesitate, question, be reluctant, delay, showing unwillingness to take action and leave
· Jesus Warnings:
· (i). The Example of Lot’s Wife
Luk 17:32 Remember Lot's wife.
Although she was dragged almost by force out of the city her heart remained attached to Sodom, and the lifestyle she had in the city
· (ii). The Need to Guard your Heart
Luk 21:34 "But take heed to yourselves, lest your hearts be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that Day come on you unexpectedly.
For it will come as a snare on all those who dwell on the face of the whole earth.
· (iii). The Need For Spiritual Sensitivity and Prayer
Watch therefore, and pray always that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man."
This offers a promise of a supernatural escape from the End Time Global turmoil, conditional upon our personal walk with God today
2. Eighth Sign: The Fig Tree and All the Trees
· Luk 21:29 Then He spoke to them a parable: "Look at the fig tree, and all the trees.
When they are already budding, you see and know for yourselves that summer is now near.
So you also, when you see these things happening, know that the kingdom of God is near.
Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all things take place.
Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.
· “The Fig Tree” refers to the nation of Israel
“and all the trees” refers to the other nations of the world
The change in nations will begin with the fig tree…Israel first and then the other nations
· Israel Becomes a Nation
In 1948 Israel came together as a nation……” it began to bud and form leaves”
They became free of rule by the British, and established their own history culture and language
In 1967 Israel took control of Jerusalem.
In 2019 Jerusalem was acknowledged as their Capital
· The Rise of Nationalism
Across the globe now the nations are beginning to put forth the leaves of their own identity
There is an upsurge of nations wanting to establish their own identity, history and culture
· "Now learn this parable from the fig tree: When its branch has already become tender and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near—at the doors! Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place. (Mat24:30-32)
Jesus specifically taught that these are the signs of the EndTimes and His imminent return
It is near…at the doors….this generation
3. Ninth Sign: Great Change in the Culture…Selfishness
2Ti 3:1 But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come:
· “Perilous times”….fierce, dangerous, reducing strength, hard to bear
· Widespread Cultural Conditions:
Lovers of themselves (narcissistic, self-centered),
Lovers of money (greed),
Boasters (empty pretenders)
Proud (appearing better than others, despising and looking down on others)
Disobedient to parents, (unable to be persuaded, unwilling to listen)
Unloving (devoid of natural family affection),
Unforgiving (truce breakers…unwilling to enter covenant),
Slanderers (malicious gossips),
Brutal (savage, cruel)
Despisers of good (and those that are good)
Lovers of pleasure (lust) rather than lovers of God,
Having a form of godliness (outward appearance but denying its power. And from such people turn away!
4. Tenth Sign: Cosmic Upheaval and Great Global Fear
Luk 21:25 "And there will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars; and on the earth distress of nations, with perplexity, the sea and the waves roaring;
Luk 21:26 men's hearts failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken.
Luk 21:27 Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.
· Widespread Great Fear: Result of upheavals in nature becoming more frequent and intense
5. Eleventh Sign: Increase in Travel and Knowledge
· Dan 12:4 "But you, Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book until the time of the end; many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall increase."
· There is a sealing of the book of Daniel so it cannot be understood until the End Times
· In The End Times….. A great increase of Travel and of Knowledge
· Knowledge is increasing at an exponential rate
· Eg. The time take for Knowledge to Double
1900-every 100 years; 1945-every 25years; 1980-every 13months, 2020- IBM predicts every 12 hours
6. Twelfth Sign: The Gospel of the Kingdom Preached
· Mat 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.
· End time revival …….the Gospel will be preached in all the world….this is the Key Sign
· Gospel of the Kingdom……….The message of the Kingdom of God
· Gospel of the Kingdom………..With demonstration of the Supernatural Power of God (1Cor.4:20)
· 2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is long suffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
III. Doom and Gloom or Greatest Hour?
1. What do You See?
· The condition of your heart will determine your perspective, how you see the signs of the End Times
(i). You can see it through the Eyes of Unbelief and Fear………….impending judgment and catastrophe
So many so called prophetic voices proclaim impending judgments that do not come to pass
(ii). You can see it through the Eyes of Faith and Hope…..………..our greatest opportunity
· You will see Doom and Gloom…..or Our Greatest Hour
2. Do you See Giants or Bread?
Num 14:6 But Joshua the son of Nun and Caleb the son of Jephunneh, who were among those who had spied out the land, tore their clothes;
Num 14:7 and they spoke to all the congregation of the children of Israel, saying: "The land we passed through to spy out is an exceedingly good land.
Num 14:8 If the LORD delights in us, then He will bring us into this land and give it to us, 'a land which flows with milk and honey.'
Num 14:9 Only do not rebel against the LORD, nor fear the people of the land, for they are our bread; their protection has departed from them, and the LORD is with us. Do not fear them."
Num 14:10 And all the congregation said to stone them with stones. Now the glory of the LORD appeared in the tabernacle of meeting before all the children of Israel.
· God brought them out of Egypt to bring them into a Promised Land, a Divine Destiny
· Twelve spies searched the land and brought fruit (of the age to come) Grapes, pomegranates and figs
· They also brought back a report…how they saw the land…thorough Eyes of Unbelief or Eyes of Faith
· (i). Ten Spies….Saw Giants
“There are Giants, we were like grasshoppers”….a report of Unbelief and Fear
The People Listened:
The people all clicked: “Like”, and “Repost”
The people all Posted: “Massive Leadership Failure, Leadership Change being decided ”
Then the People cried , wept, rejected Moses, and decided to select new leader and return to Egypt
· (ii). Joshua and Caleb:….Saw Bread
“The Land is good, The Lord is with us, and The Giants are our Bread
The People Reacted: “Stone them”
The People all clicked: “Unlike”, “Unfriend”
The People posted “Fake News” and “ Giants lives Matter too”
· (iii). God’s Response:
Num 14:23 they certainly shall not see the land of which I swore to their fathers, nor shall any of those who rejected Me see it.
Num 14:24 But My servant Caleb, because he has a different spirit in him and has followed Me fully, I will bring into the land where he went, and his descendants shall inherit it.
· God Judged and Decreed
· God clicked : “Joshua Like”, “Caleb Like”, and posted “Joshua, Caleb and descendants just won Lotto”
· God posted: “Plan still on, Same Leadership , New Team”,
· God Decreed:“All the earth shall be filled with the Glory of the Lord”(vs.21)
3. Darkness or Glory?
Isa 60:1 Arise, shine; For your light has come! And the glory of the LORD is risen upon you.
Isa 60:2 For behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, And deep darkness the people; But the LORD will arise over you, And His glory will be seen upon you.
Isa 60:3 The Gentiles shall come to your light, And kings to the brightness of your rising.
· What is your heart focussed upon?
· Unbelief and Fear?...... “Darkness everywhere”
· Faith and Hope?.......... “ The Glory of God is Here”
IV. We Must Actively Prepare for Jesus Return!
1. Jesus will return in great Glory and Power and Majesty
Luk 21:27 Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.
Mat 16:27 For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works.
2. We Must Personally Prepare for the Second Coming of The Lord
· Three times in Mark 13 Jesus commands us to Watch
· Mar 13:32 "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.
Mar 13:33 Take heed, watch and pray; for you do not know when the time is.
· Mar 13:35 Watch therefore, for you do not know when the master of the house is coming—in the evening, at midnight, at the crowing of the rooster, or in the morning—
Mar 13:36 lest, coming suddenly, he find you sleeping.
Mar 13:37 And what I say to you, I say to all: Watch!"
“Watch”…..To arouse from a condition of spiritual slumber, to stay spiritual awake and prepared
Watching is always connected to a vibrant strong prayer life and sensitivity to the Holy Spirit
3. How Can We Prepare for Jesus Return?
(That is Another Message: 8 Ways to Prepare for The Coming of jesus)
V. Questions for Personal Reflection
1. What did the Holy Spirit speak to you about during this message?
2. What areas of your life were challenged in this study
3. What changes do you need to make?
4. How vibrant is your personal prayer life?
5. What issues in the culture mentioned in 2Tim.3 are relevant to you?
6. How well can you describe the Gospel of The Kingdom?
7. Where do you need to grow in ministering the power of the Kingdom?
What action steps will you take