“One Thing is Needed”
23 October 2011
At age 40 Saul was yesterday’s man –no longer hearing God 1. Sam. 28:7.
At age 80 Moses was today’s man – hearing God and raising a generation.
2. Hearing God is a choice
(a) Both Mary and Martha received Jesus – made Him welcome (v38).
(b) Mary sat at Jesus feet and heard His word (v39).
- sit at feet = humble self to be a disciple – to learn.
- heard His Word = desire for intimacy
= willing to obey
- ‘Hearing’ is foundational to relationship, it is a heart issue.
- NT church constantly experienced revelation – direction from the Holy Spirit e.g. Act.8:26 Philip e.g. Act.16:6 Paul.
(c) Martha was “distracted” with much serving.
(d) Impact of Loss of Intimacy with the Lord
(e) Intimacy with God is a choice
(i) Affirms value – Martha, Martha
(ii) Exposes heart – worried and troubled
(iii) Identifies priority – one thing is needed
(iv) Refuses to be manipulated by Martha.
3. Revelation must lead to Serving
(a) Bethany = Place of resurrection (v1)
(b) Mary had current revelation (v3)
§ She understood what God was doing now and about to do.
§ Lazarus sat at the table – relax, enjoying the experience.
§ Mary in touch with what God is about to do.
§ Jesus about to surrender His life – go to the Cross – salvation of the World.
§ Their comfortable relationship was about to be up heaved for sake of Global harvest.
§ God always has eye on harvest of souls.
(c) Mary flowed with what God was doing (v3)
(i) Generosity - Very costly anointing oil
- Paid price to purchase the oil
- Oil =presence and manifestation of the Holy Spirit
- Willing to give generously, extravagantly
(ii) Humility - Willing to serve
- Stooped down to the feet of Jesus – knelt
- Stooped to minister to feet
- Mt.25:34-40 – “Do to least of brethren = do to me”
- Bring presence of the Holy Spirit to people in need.
(iii) Love - Willing to give of herself totally
- No concern for opinions of people, image, appearance
- Hair became matted, dirty. (1 Cor.11:15)
(d) House filled with the fragrance of oil
- one person’s generosity impacted atmosphere of the house.
- one person’s generosity exposed offence, theft, hypocrisy.
· We need to hear the call to the harvest of souls!