· Christmas = The celebration of Christ – The Anointed one of God.
· Christmas – Christian substitute for pagan festival held on December 25 – to celebrate the unconquered sun.
· Christmas – Time of family; celebration; giving; holding secular.
· Christmas – Time of supernatural visitation – Heave came to earth.
- God came to earth to dwell in a person Jesus Christ.
· Matthew 1:23 - “They shall call His name Emmanuel – God with us”
2. The Massage of Christmas:
· Luke 2:10 - “… this shall be a sign to unto you..”
· Sign = Point to something that needs to be noticed, acted upon.
· “Baby in Manger” – Manger = feeding trough for cattle, animals.
· God entering the world clothed with humility – characteristic of Kingdom.
i) Massage of Hope and Joy:
· Luke 2:10 - “…I will bring you good things of great joy..”
· Good things = 2097 = evanggelizo = to announce good news.
· This is the fulfillment of a promise made by God.
· God never abandoned man when man sinned – God clothed him and gave him hope.
· Hope = (i) Verbal = Promise to Adam, Genesis 3:15 – seed of the woman
(ii) Stars = massage of stars. Virgo – virgin -> Leo – Lion.
(iii) Bible = written prophesies generation after generation of Simon.
(iv) Now fulfilled.
· God invading earth with the intention of breaking the power of sin.
· Characteristic of God’s Kingdom – Great Joy – Romans 14:17
ii) Massage for All People:
· Luke 2:10 - “… which shall be to all people”
· The Gospel is not a Western Massage about a Western God.
· God’s purpose is to touch people of all nations.
· Genesis 12:3 ..in you shall all families of the earth be blessed.
· Matthew 28:19 - go make disciples of all nations.
· Revelation 5:9 - You have redeemed us unto God, your blood out of every Kindred, and Tongue and People and Nation.
· Every person in the world need to hear the good news of the Gospel.
iii) Massage of Our Need for a Saviour:
· Luke 2:10 - “unto you is born this day in the City of David a Saviour”
· The Massage of Christmas creates an offence – man needs a Saviour.
· Humanism/Religion => focus on y efforts of self-improvement.
· Romans 3:23 - All have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God.
đ something is wrong, lacking in every person.
đ Sin => living a life independent of God and His ways.
· Romans 6:23 - The wages of sin is death => isolation and separation.
· People try to save themselves – refuse a saviour, refuse help.
· Save – to rescue, to deliver, to make whole, to prosper.
· Jesus was more than a prophet, good man – Saviour – Matthew 1:21
· Acts 4:12 - “Neither is there salvation in any other for there is no other name”
iv) Massage of Supernatural Possibilities:
· Luke 2:11 - “…A Saviour which is Christ the Lord”
· Christ = The Anointed One – set apart and empowered by the Holy Spirit.
· Jesus was anointed for a purpose: Luke 4:18 / Acts 10:38
· Jesus modeled what a man filled with the Holy Spirit could accomplish.
· Religion – form without the Power of God – 2 Timothy 4:5
· The Anointing = God’s empowering to fulfill His purpose.
· Promise of the Anointing, the Holy Spirit is for all – Acts 2:39
· A person filled with the Holy Spirit has access to supernatural possibilities.
· God’s plan – a body of people anointed…”The Christ”
v) Massage of a Need for Change:
· Luke 2:11 - “A Saviour, Christ the Lord”
· Lord = One with supreme authority and right to rule.
· Jesus is the King – over a kingdom – Where His will is done.
· Jesus invited us to be part of His Kingdom.
· Matthew 4:17 - Repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand.
- Gospel ask us to change – mentality, loyalty, lifestyle.
- Why call me Lord and do not the things I say? – Luke 4:46
· The presence of Jesus created conflict and became a call of change.
vi) How will you Respond?
i) Luke 2:7 - ‘No Room”?
ii) Luke 2:15-17 - “Let us go now and see this”
· Stars were created for signs – Genesis 1:14
· Signs = “To come” = point to something to come.
· Stars were all named by God – Psalm 147:4
· Stars grouped in Constellations – pictures drawn to remember.
· Begins - Virgo - The Virgin - prophecy of the promised seed.
- Coma - The Desired One
- Centauries - Two Natures, despised One
- Bootes - Coming One with branch to rule.
· Ends - Leo - The Lion - Triumph of the Messiah.
- The Hydren - The serpent destroyed.
- Crater - The cup of wrath on him.
- Coruns - The buds of pray devouring.