Jeremiah 29: 11 “For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and future”. (NIV)
· God has plans for our life to bless, prosper, protect us - you must reach out (v13)
· God wants to reveal things to us in advance – we have an unusual advantage.
· We must position ourselves to so that we are proactive – not waiting for something to happen.
· “Revival Mentality” - One day God will do something great! Recognize the seasons.
· “Faith Mentality” - Today can arise; expect to hear God will do something great!
2. Proactive or Passive:
· Proactive: = create or directing a situation by taking initiative. (First
= taking active steps to bring about action or change.
= acting without waiting to be told what to do next.
· Passive: = refusing to take any initiative and waiting to see what
= drifting along with the circumstances or crowd,
= unresponsive – taking no initiative.
· Proverbs 22:3 A prudent man forces the difficulties ahead and
prepares, the simple goes blindly on and suffer the
· “Simple” = foolish, not to be open, easily persuaded, silly, easily
· The mentality of the Kingdom of God is to be proactive and assertive, not passive.
· Matthew 11:12 “The Kingdom of heaven suffers violence and the violent take it by force.
“Violent” = to seize, to be assertive because you know what the Word of God says.
“Caleb” and “Joshua” = forcible, assertive.
John 16:13 – Holy Spirit ------ show you things to come.
· With the help of the Holy Spirit and proactive prayer, you lifestyle can be impacted.
· The Holy Spirit knows what lies ahead – able to warn us, inform us.
E.G. Genesis 18:17 Shall I hide from Abraham that things which I do?
E.G. John 6:15 Jesus perceived in His spirit they would come and take
him by force to make him a King, he departed.
E.G. Mark 2:8 Jesus perceived in his spirit that they reasoned within
E.G. Acts 27:10 Paul: “ Sirs I perceive that this voyage will be with hurt
and mush damage”.
· Paul perceives a storm would occur with resulting great damage.
· When the Holy Spirit’s warnings are ignored we experience great storms.
· In the middle of a storm the Holy Spirit can direct us what to do. (V22-25)
4. Key differences between Proactive and Passive Christians:
* Shapes future through prayer/action.
* Takes initiative.
* Accepts the prompting of Holy Spirit.
* Experiences inner peace.
* Seeks people to ‘agree in prayer’.
* Takes responsibility.
* Waits for circumstances and then react.
* Drifts and altars life to be controlled.
* No exceptions or ignores the prompting of the Holy Spirit.
* Stressed out – “What next?”
* Seeks someone to pray for him.
* Blames people or circumstances.
5. How to Develop a Proactive Prayer Life:
James 5:16 - - the effectional fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much “avail” = prevail, be of strength, power and affective.
1. Build a strong relationship now – don’t wait for trouble to come.
Psalm 25:4 The secret of the Lord is with them that fear Him.
Psalm 34:1 I will bless the Lord at all times.
2. Spend time each day praying strongly in tongues – develop anointing.
1 Corinthians 14:14 Praying in Tongues – my spirit is praying.
James 1:5 If any man lack of wisdom let him ask of God that gives to all men liberty.
4. Listen for promptings and warnings of the Holy Spirit and act on them.
Romans 8:16 The Holy Spirit bears witness with our own spirit - -
5. Wait until you sense a peace in your heart about a decision.
Colossians 3:15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts.
6. Be actively involved in Spiritual Warfare – even when it seems calm.
James 4:7 Resist the Devil and he will flee from you.
7. Pray in advance over your daily activities and declare (confess) the Word of God over them – how it is going to be.
Job 22:28 You shall also decree a thing and it shall be established unto you.
Proactive people assume responsibility and choose (how) they will act in accordance with the Holy Spirit and the Word of God.