Royal Priesthood #5
Meeting with God
1 Peter 2:9 “You are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people that you should show forth the praises of him who called you …”
· This is who we are – Now! – We need to speak and act to what God says we are.
· Show forth = 1804 = exaggello = to publish abroad, act as a messenger.
· Priesthood š offered sacrifices, entered the presence of God.
· We must learn how to enter the presence of God and carry His presence to the community.
· Tabernacle in the Old testament – dwelling place of God š a pattern or picture of how to approach God.
· Furniture of Tabernacle š Focal points for prayer.
2. Meeting with God:
Exodus 25:17-22 “There I will meet with you and commune with you from above the mercy seat”.
· Meet = 3259 = yaad = to meet by appointment, to engage for marriage.
· Commune = 1696 = to answer, talk, promise, pronounce, subdue, teach.
· The mercy seat was the place of meeting with God – place of intimacy.
· The Mercy Seat:
a) Natural: v 17-18
· Plate of solid gold covering the ark.
· Two cherubim were attached to it with wings outstretched, faces looking towards one another and down to the mercy seat.
· The presence of God manifested supernaturally – shining shekinah glory.
b) Spiritual Significance:
· Romans 3:25 Christ - whom God has set forth to be a mercy seat through faith in His blood.
· 1 John 4:10 Herein is love – not that we loved god but that He loved us and sent his Son to be a mercy seat for our sins.
· Mercy seat = place of reconciliation where two people where two people have been separated are brought back into harmony again.
· Atonement = to cover, to cancel, to forgive, to reconcile.
· The work that Jesus Christ did for us - has made a way for us to become reconciled to God – to come home to our Father.
· Note: Matthew 27-51 When Jesus died the veil was torn from top to bottom.
c) Moses met with God and Communed with Him:
Exodus 33:11 “The Lord spoke to Moses face to face as a man speak to his friend”.
· Friend = 7462 = brother, lover.
· The heart of God is always been for relationship that gives pleasure.
· Exodus 34:29 Moses did not know the skin of his face shone while he talked to him.
· Supernatural encounters with God change us – it leaves a tangible impact.
3. Patterns for Approaching God:
Hebrews 4:16 “Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace that we may obtain mercy and grace to help in time of need”.
· Protocol = the way of going about doing something.
· Come boldly š (a) Present yourself – open up your heart to connect spirit to spirit.
(b) Full of faith – expectant to access the presence of God.
(c) Full of confidence – no uncertainty, shame, low esteem.
· Throne of Grace š (a) Throne = seat of authority of a King, place he rules.
= place a king governs, makes decrees.
(b) Grace = council, direction, support, power to change.
· It is a throne of grace, not judgement.
· God can be approached day and night, every nation, all people can approach God and find acceptance and “well timed help”.
· There are two major functions fulfilled when we enter the presence of God:
· Come as a Child to his Father for intimacy and affirmation.
· Intimacy š (i) Worship– Sharing innermost feelings and
John 4:24 “God has a Spirit - - worship in
spirit and in truth”.
· Worship = 4352 = proskuneo = to kiss towards like a dog licks its master.
· Expressing affection and love with words.
· “Spirit” = 4154 = preuma = breath – from innermost love.
· Truth = 225 = not concealing or hiding anything.
· Psalm 95:6 “Come and let us worship, bow down before the Lord”.
(ii) Listening – Opening heart for impressions of the Holy Spirit.
· Psalm 95:7 “Today if you will hear His voice don’t harden your heart”.
· The Holy Spirit speaks in gentle impressions.
· Journaling can help you focus on what the Holy Spirit is saying.
· Meditation in the Word can help focus your attention.
· NB. Luke 3:22 “Words of love and affirmation”.
· Come as an Ambassador to the King on Government Business.
· 2 Corinthians 5:4 We are ambassadors for Christ.
· Ambassador = to act as a spokesman or representative for God.
· Isaiah 6:1-7 Isaiah encountered God and heard His voice.
i) Apostolic Commission – “Whom shall I send?”.
ii) Governmental Prayer = Prayer that alters spiritual atmosphere.