i) It is not about you – it is about God.
· Colossians 1:16 All things were created by Him and for Him.
· Revelations 4:11 You have created all things and for your pleasure they were created.
Pleasure = 2309 = Purpose, desire, will, choice.
· The purpose of your life is much bigger than;
- personal goals, personal happiness, job, family, ambitions.
· You can accomplish all your goals and totally miss your purpose in life.
· You must connect with God – You were born by His purpose – for His purpose.
ii) Life is a Pentathlon of 5 Purposes:
· Great commandment: * Love the Lord – Worship
Mark 12:30-31 - Created to love God.
* Love you neighbour – Ministry
- Shaped to serve
· Great commission: * Go make disciples - Mission
- Made for a mission
* Baptize them – Fellowship
- Formed for Gods family.
* Teach them to obey – Maturity
- Created to become like Christ
a) You need to balance your life so all purposes are occurring.
b) You need to simplify your life – eliminate what is unimportant.
c) You need to focus your life – give attention to what last for eternity.
· James 1:22 Be doers of the Word and not hearers only deceiving your own self.
· There is a tenancy to think “I knew that”; “Been there done that”.
· Deceive = 3884 = To conclude by reasoning so do not actually walk in truth.
= To neglect to put into practice what you have learned.
· “Forgetful hearer” = to neglect, to overlook, to lose out of the mind.
= Literal = hearer that forgets rather that doer who works.
· James 4:17 To Him that knows to do good and does it not is sin.
· Knowledge is an entrustment – requires you do something with what you know.
· Knowledge requires: (i) Begin to practice what you have learned.
(ii) Share with others what you have learned.
· Jesus taught clearly that with knowledge comes responsibility.
E.g. Luke 12:47 Servant who knew the Lords will.
John 9:41 Pharisees who “knew”.
· What stops you from embracing and living these 5 purposes of God?
· Acts 13:36 David served the purposes of god in his generation:
· You and I live in the 21st century in N.Z. – our generation.
· God is still looking for “Davids” – men after his own heart.
· What hinders you? What stops you?
Proverbs 16:25 Way that “seems right”.
· Proverbs 19:21 Many are the plans of mans heart but it is the Lords purpose that prevails.
· Isaiah 53:6 We all “like sheep” have gone astray – we have turned, everyone to his own way.
· There is a tendency to “forget” and to drift away unless you have a plan or strategy.
i) Accountability; (e.g. Paul and Timothy 2 Timothy 1:6,7)
Proverbs 27:17 Iron sharpens iron – so the man sharpens the countenance of his friend.
· We learn and grow best connected and communicating with others.
· Participate in a small group or cultivate a spiritual partner.
· Key questions will soon reveal whether you are walking in your commitments.
· Who ask you key questions? Who cares for your soul?
· In a small group you can discuss, apply, encourage, support each other.
ii) Evaluate self;
2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine your own selves, whether you be in the faith.
· Evaluate yourself how you are going – whether you are a “doer of the Word”.
· Worship? Fellowship? Growth? Ministry? Mission?
· Periodically examine whether you are active in the 5 purposes.
· What do you need to simplify? Focus on? Balance?
iii) Keep a Journal;
Numbers 33:2 And Moses wrote their goings out according to their journeys by the commandments of the Word.
· Writing helps clarify what is happening in your life.
· Writing helps you to sort out internal feelings, struggles, impressions.
· Life is a journey – record what God is doing – fears, struggles, doubts, problems, victories, lessons.
iv) Share with others;
2 Timothy 2:2 The things you have learned of me among many witnesses, the same commit to faithful men who shall be able to teach others also.
· The best way to retain what you have learned is to share it with others.
· Sharing with others helps you clarify and retain what you have learned.
· Those who share what god has given are entrusted with more. (Mark 4:24-25)
· Many do not know what you know – friends, family, workmates.
· Share what you have learned.
· PASS THE BATON TO THE NEXT GENERATION!
John 17:4 Father I have glorified you on the earth – I have finished the work you gave me to do! => Fulfilled God’s purpose.
Matthew 16:24 If any man will come after me – let him deny himself, take up his cross and follow me.