19 October 2003 1 Motivation For a Lifetime #4
Motivation for a Lifetime #4
Philippians 3:14-15 - “I press towards the mark for this prize........”
· Paul – the most motivated and productive apostle of the New Testament.
· “Reaching faith” = 1901 = to stretch oneself forward.
· “Press” = 1377 = to pursue, to follow hard after something very important.
· “Prize” = 1017 = prize or victors crown won by person in public games.
= reward offered by Christ to faithful servants.
· Paul endured great difficulties and kept his eye on reward. ( eg. Moses)
· Paul urges us believers to have same attitude.
2. God is a Rewarder:
John 15:16 - “Chosen you and ordained you that you should go and bring forth mush fruit”.
· Every believer has been selected by God with the purpose of being productive.
· Every believer is the full time servant of God. (Romans 6:22)
· Every believer is called to extend the Kingdom of God – bring faith fruit!
· Every believer's work – labor will be evaluated with reward in mind.
· Revelation 22:12 “My reward is with me to give every man according as his work shall be”.
· “Reward” = 3408 = misthos = wages, reward, to pay for services.
= Personal recognition & reward for what you did to serve Christ.
· 1 Corinthians 12:7 “The manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit”.
· Every believer receives the indwelling Holy Spirit.
· Every believer is expected to “profit” to bring increase, be productive.
· The indwelling life of the Holy Spirit makes this possible, but you must apply it yourself.
· How does God Evaluate?
1) How Productive? : (Luke 19) - Different diligence => different reward.
2) How gifted? : (Matthew 25) - More given => more expected.
3) How much opportunity? : (Matthew 20) - Less opportunity => same possible
God rewards justly not equally.
3. Parable of the Talents:
· Disciples have asked a question about the coming of the Lord. (24:3)
· Jesus response is some teaching together with 5 parables & warnings.
(i) Noah - violence in end times - coming of Lord unexpected => WATCH (ii) Thief - demonic activity ” “ - coming of thief unexpected => WATCH
(iii) Servants - wise & foolish servants - service will be judged => SERVE
(iv) Virgins - wise & foolish virgins - Lord will come suddenly => PREPARE
(v) Talents - faithful & unfaithful servant - Lord will call to account => SERVE
19 October 2003 2 Motivation of a Lifetime #4
b) “Master traveling to far country”:
· Jesus Christ is the owner of all things.
· Jesus has ascended into heaven.
· Servants are Christians – believers – followers of Christ.
- bought with His money.
c) “Delivered to them his goods” :
· Every servant receive from Christ.
· God gives more gifts to some than others, account to ability to manage.
· God expects every servant to be productive with what he has received.
· 1 Peter 4:10 “As every man has received the gift minister the same one to another on good
stewards of the grace of God.
d) The Servants Conduct:
· “Traded” = 2038 = to work, toil labor & be engaged with a difficult task.
= to apply effort & energy to task to produce results.
· “Traded” = (i) Initiative (ii) Risk taking (iii) Perseverance
· “Hid” = 2928 = To conceal by covering, to keep secret.
· Two servants traded and were productive – One did not, concealed.
· Two servants labored to extend the masters kingdom & influence.
· All servants were call to account for their service – How productive?
e) Two Servants Commended/Rewarded:
· Both traded and were productive – Both were diligent!
· “Diligent” = 2782 = to point sharply, be determined, stir self up.
= 4710 = to make speed, o make effort, to be passionate.
· Both were equally productive. 100 fold return => same diligence.
· Both received the same commendations:
(i) Work - “Well done” (ii) Character - “Good & Faithful” (yielded)
· Both received the same reward:
(i) Made ruler : Revelations 3:21 “Him that overcome – sit with me in my throne”
(ii) Enter the joy : Entered into experience & encounter with Christ.
f) One Servant Rebuked:
· The other servant had no heart to extend Kingdom of the Lord.
· Servant: (i) Excused himself - in own mind convinced excuse acceptable.
(ii) Hid his talent - not productive but believes he is OK.
(iii) Blame shifted - accuses the master op Adam.
(iv) Real motive - fear “selfcentredness”.
· Servants character rebuked:
(i) Wicked - 4190 = to have a hurtful or harmful influence (not evil character).
(ii) Slothful - 3635 = slow, reluctant, delay, procrastinate.
(iii) Unprofitable - 888 = without use, value, profit, unemployed.
· Consequences: Loss of opportunity, loss reward.
· Malachi 3:14-18 “God remembers what we do & keeps record so he can reward us.
19 October 2003 3 Motivation for a Lifetime #4
What must I do?:
(1) Apply self to know the Lord - What He is? Why?
· Word of God.
(2) Identify what the Lord has given you.
(3) Expect Holy Spirit to direct and lead you daily.
· Keep free in Spirit
· Keep filled
(4) Apply self (work) to extend Kingdom of God.
· Home – family
· Church relationships
(5) Encourage self – God is a Rewarder.
· Nothing is overlooked by God
· Lord is a rewarder