Principles of Success
· Everyone in business wants to be a success! Who wants to “fail”
· What is success? How to define it? How you know when you succeed?
· Dictionary: - To obtain the result you desire.
· Worlds View
Seminars advert: “Come and learn the Secret of Success”
(i) Success defined as ability to “buy things”
- Success judged by possessions – house, car, type, money.
(ii) Success defined on ability to achieve
- more you are able to accomplish = more successful
- success = “progressive achievement of world worth goal”
J Paul Getty: “All my wealth and success was not able to produce happy memories”
· Biblical View:
Gods values and principles are completely different to world views.
- Is 55:8-9. My thoughts are not your thoughts – my ways are higher
- Luke 12:15. Beware coveting, man’s life does not consist of the abundance of things which he possesses.
Not wrong to have things – Note Gen 13:2. Abraham was very rich.
Not wrong to pursue goals and value achievements. Note: King David
· Luke 12:20-21. Food – lays up treasure for self, not rich toward God.
“Discovering Gods purpose for my life and pursuing it with passion and diligence”
- John 17:4. “I have glorified you on the earth; I have finished the work you gave me to do”. PERSON
(a) Glorify Father = make renounced or
famous, to exalt or magnify
(b) Finished Work = discovered what called to accomplished in life and completed it. PURPOSE
- Foundation of true success, lasting success is knowledge of God.
2. Principles for Success
Principle 1: Always put God 1st in your life and
- Mark 12:20. Love the Lord with all your heart and all your soul and all your mind and all your strength.
- 2 Reasons for this:
(a) God will not settle for 2nd place.
can’t serve 2 masters – will hate one and love the other”. Matthew 6:24
Don’t let anything in life become an idol – come before God.
- not business, money making, families – nothing
(b) Putting God 1st in everything you can expect good things to come
6:33. Seek first the Kingdom of God…all these things shall be added to
- i.e. The things unsaved seek and focus life upon will be given to you.
When God is not 1st you have to depend upon own ability resources.
- This is the key foundation in life for success that lasts.
Principle 2: Get to know Gods word and apply it to your life and business.
- Josh 1:8. Meditate therein day and night that you may observe to do all that is written therein – for then shall you make your way prosperous and shall have good success.
- Bible contains principles on every aspect of Life.
- Spend time daily – meditate – think about it.
- Psalm 19:7-11. Law of the Lord is perfect – desirable – warn us and in keeping them there is great reward.
- Gods principles are perfect – never change as other theories do.
- Desirable – more than gold – result in fulfillment.
- Warns us – reveals things that will damage us.
Principle 3: Expect big things from God.
- Once we put God 1st and begin to order our life we can have confidence and expect to receive good things from God.
- Eph 3:20. “He is able to do more exceeding abundantly then we ask or think…”
- Expect = to look forward to something happening, anticipate.
- Mark 5:36. “Do not be afraid – only believe”
- Mark 9:23. “If you can believe – all things are possible to him that believe.
- Law of Belief – whatever you truly believe with feeling will become what you experience.
o ·Fears; self limitations tend to be self fulfilling
o ·Biggest hindrance doubt, fear – must feel confident
- Law of Expectance – whatever you expect tends to be self fulfilled.
o ·Expect the best of yourself and of others
o ·Positive expectations bring out the best in people.
- Develop Goals – steps to your future surround with expect of success.