Ethics in Business
1. Introduction: Review
(a) Purpose of Group:
· Empower you to succeed in personal life and business life
· Teach how to bring Christ, the Word of God into every area of your life personal and business.
· Motivate you to embrace your calling as a businessman to serve Christ and make impact.
· Connect you to other businessmen who you can encourage and support.
· Impart anointing Holy Spirit needed to make an unusual impact
(b) Making Christ Senior Partner:
· When you give God ‘controlling’ interest in your business – He is able to accomplish his goals through you – His business then your business i.e. Make him the parent company (1Cor6:19-20)
· God wants to prosper you – every area of your life – business, home, personal, relationships Jer29:11 I know the plan I have for you – a plan for good not evil.
· God promises to guide and direct us in every aspect of personal life and business. Ps 32:8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you shall go.
· Gods’ business purpose – to reach people with the Gospel through you and your business. Lk19:10 Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.
· Your business is your mission field – full time ministry! Matt 4:19 follow me and I will make you fishers of men.
2. Business Ethics
(a) Gods principles of business are not offered “cafeteria style”
· Can’t pick and choose what you like and ignore what you don’t like.
· Must build a foundation – not for quick riches but long term growth.
· Underlying moral principles, guiding the decisions you make
· What is the underlying foundation for your decisions in business?
(c) Situation Ethics (Philosophy developed by world as basis for decision making)
· A flexible standard of ethics that is altered to suit the situation or transaction.
· There are no absolute standards when doing business so do what “seems best” in each situation.
· Total rejection of Bible standards, authority of right and wrong.
· Total rejection of accountability to God for decision making.
(d) How People Justify
· Whatever you do to me – I have the right to do to you (Rom12:17)
· End justifies the means
· Everyone else is doing it – that makes it OK (Rom12:2)
· OK to do it so long as you don’t get caught
· So long as we agree – then whatever we do is right
· Have to do it or wouldn’t survive in business (Rom12:21)
· It’s ‘dog eat dog’ out there
· Don’t want people to think I am weak.
· End up directly violating the Word of God
3. Importance of Biblical Foundation
(a) Gods business purpose
· Reach people with Gospel through you and your business. = action speaks louder than words.
· Matt. 5:14 you are the light of the world – Let your light so shine before men.
· Must break out of ‘dog eat dog’ environment and treat people differently.
· Do this so people “see your light” and are attracted to Christ.
(b) How to know what Biblically ethical?
· There is no way you can open the Bible and find simple answers to every problem.
· Bible emphasizes principles but requires
relationship – have to ask God.
E.g. Ex 20:15 Shall not steal – totally clear.
Ex20:8 Keep Holy Sabbath – how? Everyone has different idea.
· Jesus solved this by having a list of rules passed on – lost relationship
· God gives principles – wants us to talk with him how to apply.
4. Key Bible Principles
“Golden Rule Principles”
(1) Matt 7:12 All things whatsoever you will that men do to you, do to them for this is the law and the prophets
· All things =Every business dealing
· Employees, customers, suppliers, friends, competitions, strangers.
· In all places at all times.
· Treat people the way you want to be treated – honestly, fairly
· Law and Prophets this summarises all the Bible I.e. is a foundational principle
· What does it mean to treat them fairly?
(2) Matt 5:39-41 “Second Mile Principle”
· Goes against or natural tendency, human nature.
· Always be committed to giving beyond what people and the law require of you.
· Don’t just do what people and law require – even unsaved can do this (Matt 5:46-47)
· Everyone expects you to do what is required
· Second Mile Principle – do more then what is expected
· When you exceed expectations you stand out in the market
· Deepen Relationship with God
· Developed Bible Foundation for decisions
· Make Impact on people in business field
· Experience blessing and favor of God and people.