· Good principle: Start with the Finish in mind – or you will go off course.
· Applies to every area of your life:
e.g. Building a house
e.g. Establishing Business
· Proverbs 22:3 “A prudent man foresees the evil & hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished”
Question: How would you advice this man about his finances?
· He lived in one country but retires in a different new country
· The currency in his present country cannot be used in the country he retires
· What should he plan to do while he is alive?
E.g. Indonesia - money cannot be used in N.Z.
Jesus taught on this issue, Matthew 6:19-24 - Note contend “Reward”.
2. Key Directions from Jesus:
i) “Lay up Treasure”
· This is the plan of God for every person – think ahead with your finances
· Lay up = 2343 Strongs = Thësaurizó = to amass, accumulate, heap up
· Treasure = wealth, riches, valuables
· Clear direction from Jesus to consider the future and plan to amass wealth
ii) “Lay up – for yourself”
· The sole beneficiary of their treasure to be laid up is yourself
· What you do will benefit you in the future
· No one else can do this for you – you personally responsible
· Not talking about selfishness, but being wise or being a fool
- does not think and plan ahead for his future
- lives in the hope that somehow it will work out OK!
- does not think with eternal perspective
· Luke 12:13-21 *“You fool!” - failed to plan for eternal future
· So is everyone who is rich to self – not rich to God
The issue is not having money – it is really a issue of perspective
a) The money cannot be taken with you
b) The money can be used to create future eternal
iii) “Lay up Treasurers in Heaven”
· As they say in Real Estate—location is everything
· E.g. If you build an expensive home on land and then find it was a dump and is subsiding steadily—value drops immediately
· Treasure on earth is uncertain—theft!
· Treasure on earth must be left behind
· The only place where treasure is safe, is in heaven
· Treasure in heaven will be enjoyed for eternity
iv) There is a Rival Master
· v13 “No man can serve two Masters”
· Master = supreme ruler/Lord
· Key issue is one of loyalty – which one do you serve, listen to, yield to?
· Both masters talk to you and seek your attention
· Your behavior will reveal which master you serve
· Attitude: Love/Hate - loveless, detest
· Hold/Despise - think against,
· Where your treasure is there will be your heart.
· If not purposefully interest in the Kingdom of God – heart is not there
3. How can you Transfer your Treasure?
· Key question: How can I develop/ accumulate wealth on earth?
· How can I transfer it ahead so that I can have a eternal treasure?
· Must do something with finances now
· Your behavior will reveal what you believe?, what your priorities are?
· 1 Timothy 6:17 “Command them that are rich!”
“Command” is a directive – comes from Superior Commander
i) Not High minded – arrogant, self important
ii) Not trust in money – uncertain!
iii) Trust in the Living God – bring, generous, kind, rewarding
iv) Enjoy what you have – celebrate life, enjoy all your possessions
v) Do good = Acts of kindness under direction of the Holy Spirit
vi) Generous= Use money to advance Gods interests!
vii) Communicate = Connect in vital relationships with other believers
· Lay up treasure for time to come!
· Seize hold of something that lasts forever!
Core Issue = Faith!
· Faith that God is good, God is just - His word can be trusted!
· Faith that God will reward and the reward will more than compensate!