SESSION 2 – HOLY SPIRIT
1. You were born for battle
Genesis 28 :Be fruitful and multiply: fill the earth and subdue it, have dominion..”
· The world is a spiritual battlefield
· You were born into a warzone
· To be Born Again is to be enlisted in the Kings Army
· Your spiritual DNA – “Subdue and have dominion”
2. You have a choice
2 Cor 4:10 “The weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds
· Your choice is: Fight and overcome
Or: Yield and be overcome
· Your choice is: Be prepared and engage our enemy
Go AWOL and defect to our enemy
3. The Holy Spirit empowers Men for mission
1- Othriel – “Went out to war”
Jud 3:10 – The Spirit of the Lord came upon him, he judged Israel and went out to war.
2 – Gideon – “Called men to war”
Jud 6:34 – The Spirit of the Lord came upon Gideon and he blew a trumpet.
3 – Jephah – “Fought against the enemies of the Lord”
The spirit o the Lord came on Jephah and he passed over to fight against them
4 – Samson – “Killed the Lion”
Jud 14:6 – The Spirit of the Lord came mightily upon him and he rent the Lion as he would have a kid.
5 – David – “Changed a Nation”
1 Sam 16:13 The Spirit of the Lord came upon David from that day forward.
6 – Jesus – “Destroyed the work of the devil”
Lk 4:18 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me because he has anointed me to preach...
4. Jesus Promised us the Holy Spirit
Jn 14:16-18 “I will pray the Father and He will give you another helper, that He may abide with you forever
12 The Spirit of Truth whom the world cannot receive, neither sees them, nor knows them, but you know Him for He dwells with you and will be in you
18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you
* Jesus promised every believe the Holy Spirit
* “Helper” = Paraclete = One called alongside to help, to strengthen,
* “He” – The Holy Spirit is a Person – The Spirit of God.
* Jesus does not abandon us to fight alone
5. Jesus Commissioned us to Fight
Jn 20:21-22 “.....As the Father has sent me, I also send you.
And when He had said this He breathed on them, and said to them “Receive the Holy Spirit”
· Jesus was “sent” = Commissioned by the God the Father
· “Sent” = Apostello = order one to fulfil a military assignment
· Jesus now commissions and sends us
· We have a mission, an assignment and a war to engage in
6. Jesus Provided Spiritual Power to Fight
Acts 1 : 4 And being assembled together with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of the Father which, He said, you have heard from me:
5 For John truly baptised with water but you shall be baptised with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.
8 You shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you shall be witnesses unto Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria and to the ends of the earth.
* Jesus gave His disciples a command – wait for Power.
* Jesus promised a new experience – the Power of the Holy Spirit
* “Baptise” – to plunge into and immerse in the spiritual realm
* The Holy Spirit gives power “to witness”
* Witness = Living testimony of the Power of God to overcome
7. The Empowering for Mission
Acts 2:1-4 When the day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place
2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven of a rushing wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting
3 Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire and it sat on each of them
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Holy Spirit gave them difference
* 120 men and women were gathered to seek the Power of God
* The Holy Spirit came powerfully upon all who were present
* They were all filled with the Holy Spirit
* The first evidence was an overflow of Speaking in Tongues
* They spoke..... The Holy Spirit gave them the
8. How they were changed
* Denial of Christ *Proclaiming Christ
*Fear and Timidity * Boldness and Outspokenness
*Ran from the battle *Ran to the battle
9. How to receive the Holy Spirit
Acts 2:39 For the promise is to you and to your children and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord shall call
Mk 11:24 Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them and you will have them.
· Desire - You want the Holy Spirit
· Prayer - You ask to the Holy Spirit
· Believe - You hold Gods promise
· Receive - You welcome and embrace the Holy Spirit
· Action - You step out in faith – speak in tongues