10 July 2011
2. Your Desires and the Will of God
(a) The Will of God is connected to your heart’s desires
· Prov.4:23 “Keep your heart with all diligence for out of it are the issues of life”.
· God has hard wired desires, passions, gifts into your life.
· Discovering desires, passions and gifts = discovering who we are – what designed to do:
· e.g. What do you love to do
What are you good at?
What are you passionate about?
What do others see in you?
What stirs you up – makes you angry?
What stirs compassion in your heart?
· Don’t argue with how God has made you – He didn’t make a mistake.
(b) Separated from God our desires tend to be self centred
· We tend to protect self, avoid painful experiences, memories, emotions.
· We tend to be self centred
Obtain our goals/desires at expense of others – Jam.4:1-4
Put our interests/welfare ahead of others – Mat. 16:21-23
Resist unexpected demands on time and resources.
(c) Connected and Yielded to God our desires change
· Ps.37:4 “Delight yourself in the Lord and He shall give you the desires of your heart.
· Delight = 6026 = to be soft, pliable, yielded, easily moved or shaped.
· Walking with the Lord brings change in desires and priorities.
· He delights in giving us our hearts desires – our responsibility is to monitor desires.
· Col.3:1-2 “Set your affection on things above not on things of the earth”.
· Our journey our walk with God requires we change our world-view – way we see life.
· Our Desires
o Can be just matters of interest/preference – wisdom.
o Can be destructive and harmful to self or to others – bring to the Cross.
o Can be deep motivations for life’s purpose – cultivate.
3. How to Discover the Will of God
(i) What is the desire, passion of your heart?
(ii) What does God expect me to be responsible for?
(iii) Does this agree with/contradict written Word of God?
(iv) Do you have a peace in your heart?
(v) Are you open to consider timing, readiness, preparation?
(vi) What will be the impact of your desires/plan upon others?
(vii) Are you open to the counsel of wise men?
4. Hindrances to Hearing the Will of God
(i) Having an Idol in your heart – mindset! Ezek. 14:7, 1 Kings 22:4-22 Ahab.
(ii) Immaturity or disobedience - 2 Tim.4:3.
(iii) Influence of Controlling Relationships - 2 Chron. 18:1 – Jehosophat.
(iv) Personal agenda – Self Preservation - Mt. 16:21-23
(v) Passivity – waiting for God to do something - Jer.29: 13-14.