7 September 2014
· Today we celebrate Fathers and Fatherhood.
· Acknowledge: Great Grandfathers, Grandfathers, Fathers and Fathers “to be”.
· Culture has eroded godly image of fathers, manhood, what valiant men look like.
· TV, media – picture men as foolish, irresponsible, effeminate.
· Man is made in the image of God – a spirit being – capacity to represent God in earth.
· Jesus came to restore the image of God, show us what God is really like.
2. Qualities of a Valiant Man
(a) Valiant man = possessing or showing courage, determination.
· Root: Valoir – to have value Latin = to be strong.
· Joshua 1:9 “Be strong and of good courage, be not afraid nor be dismayed for The Lord Your God is with you wherever you go.”
· Godly courage and strength comes out of relationship with God.
(b) Qualities of Valiant man
· 1 Cor.16:13-14 “Watch, stand fast in faith, be brave, be strong, let all that you do be done in love.” = All of these are military terms.
(i) Spiritual Sensitivity (‘watch’)
· Watch =G1127= to stay awake and alert, be vigilant, act as a spiritual watchman.
· Mk.13:33 Watch and pray lest you enter temptation.
· Valiant man is man of prayer – alert to see temptations, dangers, opportunities.
(ii) Faith (‘steadfast in faith’) – hold your rank – stay aligned with God
· ‘Steadfast’ = G4379= to persevere, not be movede by adversity or contrary circumstances.
· Valiant men develop deep trust in God and His Word – remain in place of trust, faith.
· Choose to believe God and hold fast to His Word in the face of difficulties.
· Heb. 11:6 “Without faith it is impossible to please God.”
(iii) Courage (‘brave’) – hold your ground.
· “Brave” =G407= to act manly, to Man Up. (Opposite to ‘tolerance” being PC)
· Courage is not absence of fear but triumph over it – standing up for what is right.
· Courage = feeling fear but going ahead and doing what needs to be done.
· Take courage to stick to the course, to follow own heart and not the crowd, make a stand.
· Courage is developed alone with God in obedience in small matters.
(iv) Strength (‘be strong’)
· Strength =G2900= to be empowered, increase in vigour.
· Power grows in life where assume responsibilities and stop blaming others, life.
· Eph.6:10 “Be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.”
(v) Kindness (Let all things be done with love)
· Selfishness, being inconsiderate, harsh is not being a valiant man.
· Prov. 19:22 “What is desired in man is Kindness (loving kindness, mercy).