You are a Champion!
8 January 2012
1. This World needs Champions
a) Judges 6:4 – 6 “Israel was greatly impoverished because of the Midianites”
b) God sees what is happening in peoples lives – He desires to intervene
· God sees
The lost, the oppressed, those suffering, and those without hope
The cries of the unborn child being aborted
The girl being abused
The young man being beaten
The family broken and sorrowing over loss
· God is not distant – He is near – He wants to intervene, to save.
· God’s response is always a man
He sent His only son.
Now He sends you (Jn 20:21 “As the Father sent me – so I send you”)
God is raising up Champions.
c) Definition of a Champion
A person who fights to defend or protect another
A person who fights for a cause
A person who defeats all opponents in a competition
2. I see who you really are – a “Champion”
Judges 6:11-12 “The Lord is with you – you mighty man of valour”.
a) The world sees you through natural eyes – sees your past, sees your present.
· I see beyond your fears, insecurities, weaknesses, lacks, failures, excuses.
· I see who you really are – I seeyou through the eyes of faith.
· I see there is a Champion within you.
· I am with you, you mighty man of valour.
· I am with you, you champion of the Kingdom.
b) I know in the world you face pressures (Jn16:33)
· Financial, relational and emotional.
· I have overcome the world – I am in you and you are a champion.
c) I know that in the world you face challenges
· Temptations, resistance, opposition, setbacks, disappointments.
· In all of these things you are more than conquerors. (Rom. 8:37)
· You are a champion!
· No matter what people say, no matter what circumstances – Rom.8:11 Spirit that raised Christ.
· You are a champion!
3. Think, Act and Speak like a Champion
a) Jesus is the Ultimate champion (Rev. 1:18) (Col. 2:15)
Jesus made a costly sacrifice on the altar of freedom.
He did not give up His life so: He gave up His life so:
You would live in sin You would live free from sin
You would live in compromise You would live a committed life
You would live in bondage You would be free from oppression
You would live in oppression You would live in joy
You would be lukewarm spiritually You would be passionate
You would live without purpose You would live with purpose
You would do what you wanted to do You would live to honour Him
You would live like the world does You would live for a cause
He gave His life so you would become a champion!
b) Champions understand Sacrifice