Partnership for Kingdom Advance (2)
11 March 2012
= Command to trade and to gain increase for the kingdom.
= Make disciples, change society.
(i) Servants – what reward? (ii) Citizens who rejected his reign.
2. Key Insights from Parable
(i) God invites everyone to be great in His Kingdom
· Mt.5:19 “Least in the Kingdom … great in the Kingdom”
· Greatness and reward are two major themes in Jesus Sermon on the Mount.
· Key theme of teaching is the journey to greatness and how to get there.
· God has planted the desire for greatness in your heart – it is a God given longing.
· Jesus taught that there is a range of glory and greatness in the Kingdom.
· Some will be called least and some will be called great.
· Our rewards in eternity will differ. (1 Cor.15:41-42).
· Rev. 19:5 Praise to God all you his servants and those who fear him small and great.
· God invites us to greatness and to reward without regard to external achievements.
· Mt. 5:19
Greatness is connected to inner heart attitudes – intimacy and obedience.
Greatness is connected to the type of influence with have on others.
3. God gives Every Person an Assignment to fulfil
· Lk 19:13 “…Occupy until I come”.
· Occupy = to trade = to be busy or proactive in Kingdome affairs.
· Life on earth is like a 70 year internship that prepares us for ministry in the age to come (Ps.90:10).
· Your preparatory assignment = 70years+ assigned on earth (Eph 3:20).
Your primary assignment = 1000 years assignment on earth after Jesus returns.
· In your 70 years internship on earth you face two issues you must choose –
(i) Will I love Jesus and live in His family?
(ii) Will I function in Jesus Government for 1000 years and all eternity?
· The choices you make now determine your ministry assignment in the age to come.
· Key issues: Jesus affirmation: “Well Done” (Luke 19:17). Not approval of men.
4. Rewards in Millenium and in Eternity are at stake
· Lk. 19:15 “When he returned … called his servants to Him that he might know how much every man had gained by trading”.
· Rewards are held out for faithful service.
· Mt.16:27 “For the son of Man will come … then He will reward each man according to His worth”.
· Two great hopes of believer Jesus will come – He will reward.
Jesus teachings is full of references to rewards = ‘treasures in heaven’.
· External rewards = external expression of internal love for Jesus.
= tangible physical expression of inner response to Jesus.
· We will be rewarded openly for things that cannot be seen now. (1 Cor. 4:5)
5. Rewards in Millennium include Ruling with Christ
· Lk 19:17 “Faithful in very little … have authority over ten cities”
· Millenium = 1000 years period when Jesus rules on earth.
· The Kingdom of heaven will be openly manifest worldwide.
· The Kingdom of heaven will affect every sphere of life.
· It will be a period of blessing and restoration initiated by Jesus at His coming.
· The earth will be progressively restored. Ps 72:11
· All the earth will be saved; worship Jesus and base the gut upon Bible.
· Jesus as King of Kings will govern in partnership with two types of kings.
(i) Kings of Earth – non resurrected bodies.
(ii)Resurrected Kings (those that come forth in the first resurrection).
6. The Basis for Reward – Service/Intimacy with Christ
1 Cor. 3:13-14 - Every man’s work will be evaluated with reward in mind. Loss is a real possibility.
Basis for Reward
· Opportunity given (Mt. 21) Servants in vineyard.
· Intimacy (Mt. 25:1-13) Virgins with lamp (ministry) and oil.
· Capacity (Mt. 25:14-30) Servants, talents, different capacity.
· Productivity (Lk.19:11-26) Servants rewarded differently.
· Heart Motivation (Mt. 28:45-51) Servants attitude, 1 Cor. 13.
7. Partnership can increase Productivity
· Lk. 19:23 “Why did you not put my money in the bank … gain interest”
· Most people have limited capacity, talent.
· What we accomplish on our own is small!
· What we accomplish together is great!