19 February 2012
Acts 1:8 “You shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you and you shall be witnesses to me …”
Jesus to death.
- a place of great conflict – a place of great need.
Some Practical Keys
1. Pray for Opportunities
· Col.4:3 “Pray for us that God would open to us a door for the Word, to speak the mystery of Christ …”
· Winning people to Christ is spiritual warfare – advancing the Kingdom of God.
· Prayer is essential to open up hearts to the gospel.
· God is able to do much more than we ask or think (Eph.3:20)
· Use your imagination – see the possibilities of God working through you.
· Use your mouth – speak over your day and circumstances.
- speak over the people you will meet today.
· Fill your mind with expectations of God working through you to impact others.
· Have no doubt that God is willing to work through you.
· Mk.11:24 Speak to the mountain … believe in heart (Speak = 3x Believe = 1x)
· Command your day to come into divine order.
2. Look for People in Need
· Jn.4:35 “Lift up your eyes and look at the fields, for they are already white for harvest.”
· Look = NT2300 = to look closely at, to be attentive, see the possibilities.
· (v27) the disciples came and marvelled that He talked with a woman.
· Jesus constantly noticed the people around Him – He was “aware”.
· He ministered to people publicly and privately (Mk.1:29) because He looked.
· The disciples missed the person in need – missed the opportunity.
(i) Preoccupied with own needs – food. (ii) “Mindsets” about people.
(iii) Narrow mind. It did not occur to them at all to connect with this woman.
· (v39) The person they “passed by” became an evangelist to the region.
3. Engage People with Purpose
· Jn 4:6-10 Jesus said to her “Give me to drink”.
· Jesus initiated personal connection – spoke with her and engaged her – purposeful.
· He drew her into conversation about real issues of life.
· To engage with people * Show personal warmth and acceptance
* Find a common point of interest
* Ask questions to draw out the person
* Listen from the heart
e.g. Lk 10:33-34 “… he had compassion, so he went to him”
4. Minister to People God sends you
· Jesus did not minister to everyone – just the ones He was led by the Holy Spirit to. E.g. He only healed one man by the pool of Siloam (Jn 5). He did not heal the cripple by the temple (Acts 3).
· Jesus had personal boundaries in the fulfilment of His mission.
· You are a minister of God – think and act like one.
· Lk 10:34 He went to him, and bandaged his wounds, trauma) pouring on oil and wine and he set him on an animal, brought him to an inn and took care of him – “He crossed the room to connect”.
· “Oil and wine” = anointing and work of the Holy Spirit.
· Offer to pray for people when you have established their need.
· Expect the Holy Spirit to flow through you – overcome ‘self’ consciousness.
· Self consciousness and fear quench the flow – focus on loving the person.
· “Bandaged; took to inn; took care of him” these are practical actions.
· Acts of kindness impact people – represent what Jesus is like.
· Simple practical help can hugely impact the lives of people.
· Take what you love and use it to love people.
· What stops you breaking out – engaging people?
· What will you do about it?
“It’s Time to Breakout”
12 February 2012
2. New Testament Church Broke Out
3. David was a Master of Break Out
(i) The anointing is always for a purpose
(ii) Kings have dominion over a territory
· (v17) David was anointed King as representative of King of Kings.
· Kings have dominion – rule over a territory.
· We are kings and priests to God (Rev. 5:10 “and we shall reign on earth”).
· You were born for dominion (not over people).
· Kings dream – dream of enlarging territory.
· We have a commission – clear mandate from our King – ‘Go” – Make disciples.
(iii) There is NO advancement of the Kingdom without resistance and
= Reaching people for Christ – building into church.
(iv) Resistance comes from Giants you have not overcome
(v) David faced the situation with a Warrior Spirit
(a) Responsibility (v17)
– He faced the issue and took responsibility to deal with it.
(b) Revelation (v19)
- He sought direction from the Holy Spirit (v19)
- Should I fight? Will I win?
- Flow of prophetic direction.
(c) Response (v20)
- He took action and directly confronted the Philistines
- Engage = choose to become involved, commit to something
- Engage = your personal giants
= people who are unchurched
(d) Roots (v21)
- He dealt with the root issues – Heart and spiritual.
(e) Resistance (v23)
- He persisted when Philistines came again
- Must overcome resistance (personal and demonic)
(f) Revelation (v23)
- He sought ongoing revelation and insight
- He depended on the Holy Spirit not gift/past experience
- Obtained different strategy for breakthrough
- Obeyed what the Holy Spirit told him = supernatural!
4. Action: What will you do this year?
(i) Dream of a different future - Personal
Influence on people
(ii) What is current limitation? Thinking? Attitude? Past Experiences?
(iii) What will you do to break out and engage unsaved?