Easter Sunday: Celebration and Hope
8 April 2012
2. Great Power was released at Jesus Death
a) Jesus Death – “a loud voice”
· The voice of a dying person is weak and soft.
· Jesus spoke out with full strength Loud =NT3173= Megas
· Shout of triumph, of victory over all his enemies.
· Col.2:14 “He wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us, and has taken it out of the way having nailed it to the Cross. Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them and triumphing over them in it”
· He dealt with the issue of sin and its power to hold men in bondage.
b) Power Released
· The veil in the temple was torn in two from top to bottom.
· The earth quaked
· The rocks (hard places) were split in two.
· The graves were opened - consequences of sin exposed.
3. Great Power was Released at Jesus Resurrection
· Mt.28:1-4 “Behold there was a great earthquake …”
· There was a great (megas) earthquake (v2)
· The stone was rolled back (v2)
· Jesus arose from the dead (v6)
· Many saints arose from the dead also (Mt 27:53)
· The consequences of sin (death) was overcome by power of God.
· Death is no longer to be feared.
(i) Death is not the end. (There is hope!)
(ii) There is life after death (physical death, death of hope, dream etc)
(iii) There is resurrection of the dead – all shall rise!
(iv) The power of the Holy Spirit is available for us to live in victory.
· Eph.3:20 “He is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all we ask or think according to the power that works in us!”