Discovering Your Assignment
1 July 2012
Eph. 8-10 “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them”.
· Each of us is a masterpiece, a unique creation of God that He is working on.
(a) V8 Salvation = His Work: He has done it all. I must believe and rest on the work Jesus did. There is nothing more I can do to become accepted by God.
(b) V10 Advancing the Kingdom = My Work: He has designed me for a unique purpose –
= called to bring heaven to earth.
= called to restore our community one life at a time.
· V10 “Prepare beforehand” = God designed an assignment and created you to fulfil it.
· “Works” = activities we do energised by the Holy Spirit.
· “Walk” = NT4043 = to tread all around, to regulate your life so you fulfil your assignment.
2. God Designed Your Assignment before you were born
(a) Examples of Men with Assignments
· 1 King 13:2 Josiah – His name and assignment were prophesied.
· Jer. 1:5 Jeremiah – called to be a prophet before he was born.
· Jud. 13:5 Samson – called to be a deliverer from womb.
· Lk. 1:13-16 John – called to be a revivalist from the womb.
(b) God has prepared every day of your life
“All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them come to be”. NIV
“You saw me before I was born and scheduled each day of my life before I began to breath. Every day was recorded in your book”. TLB
(c) Your assignment is Specific to You
· Jesus Was aware of His assignment at age of 12 years (Lk2:49)
Was totally committed to His assignment (Jn4:34)
Could clearly articulate His assignment (Lk4:18)
Fully completed His assignment (Jn17:4)
3. How Can you Discover What your Assignment is?
(a) Revelation by the Holy Spirit
· We can only discover our assignment fully if we listen to the Holy Spirit.
· Jn.16:13 “When He the Spirit of Truth has come He will guide you into all truth, for He will not speak on His own authority but whatever He hears He will speak and He will tell you things to come”.
· One major work of the Holy Spirit is to reveal God’s will and empower us to do it.
· Phil.2:13 “for it is God who works in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure”.
· “Works” = HNT1754 = Energeo = to energise, powerfully work in.
· How does the Holy Spirit do this?
· Build your devotional life and practise listening and responding to the Holy Spirit as a lifestyle.
(b) Active Pursuit
· Acts 16:6-9 as Paul acted on what he knew, his assignment unfolded
(i) Look for opportunities to help people (Gal.6:10)
(ii) Invest in personal growth and development (1 Tim. 4:15)
(Natural and spiritual)
(iii) Develop excellence in serving people (Col 3:23)
(iv) Set some practical goals – make a plan (prov.29:18)
(v) Build relationships with mentors that can speak into your life and help you (Prov.15:22)
(vi) Take risks – welcome opportunities to extend (Mt.14:28-32)
(vii) Commit to Spiritual and Emotional health (Prov.4:23)