26 February 2012
Physical? Education? Finance? Failure? Disappointment?
Challenge your thinking is this really what is holding me back?
Prov. 4:23 “Out of the heart flows issues of life”
2. Story of Jephthah – Judges 11
(a) Jephthah’s “limitations
· Mother desperately poor – prostitute
· Abandoned – given up by mother
· Rejected by family
· Thrown out of home- bitter resentment
· Injustice over lost inheritance
· Rejected by authorities
· Limited education opportunities
· Economic recession
· Spiritual darkness, oppression, idolatry
· Rejected from the house of God Dt.23:2-3
· Living under a curse of rejection
· Don’t look for someone or something to blame for where you are at.
· When you blame, you become a ‘victim’
(b) Your Limitations do not define who you are
· Judg.11:1”Now Jephthah the Gileadite was a mighty man of valour”
· Name Jephthah =3316= He will open, He will breakout, He will loose him
· His name was prophetic describing who God saw him to be. God sees you according to faith – what He designed you to be.
· His name was given to him by his father.
· Mighty man of Valour
His nature,character was the result of what he chose to do.
“Mighty” =1368= hero, one who behaves boldly, a warrior.
“Valour” =2428= force, strength, courage.
This is what he became as a result of his choices.
He refused to become bitter or to blame – took responsibility.
(c) Breaking out of Your Limitations – it’s a choice
· To breakout you must face your limitations – face your Goliath.
· What you cannot change outside you must result in change inside you.
· Jephthah made several choices – caused him to become:
(i) Man of Prayer (Faith)
· Heb.11:32 Holy Spirit describes Jephthah as a man of faith – pleased God.
· He entrusted his life to Christ – chose to believe in God.
· Not just a head believe but a heart belief = accessed grace.
· Jud.11:11 As soon as he was given leadership he prayed = lifestyle.
(ii) Man of Peace (Reconciled)
· Jud.11:12-14 He sent messengers to King of Ammon seeking reconciliation.
· He had resolved personal injustice by forgiveness and blessing.
· There was no bitterness or strife in his heart – sought peace.
· His heart was free from injustice and anger = reconciled injustice.
(iii) Man of Power (Stand Up)
· Jud.11:29 Holy Spirit came mightily upon him to battle.
· He had identified his gift and developed it out of sight.
· He was willing to stand up and to fight bit battle because he had stood up and fought small battles unseen – developed character and skill.
· What is limiting you? What/who are you blaming? Heb.4:45.