Arise and Stretch
7 October 2012
· Jn.7:37-38 He that believes on me out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water
· Jesus Message Kingdom of God is near within reach.
· Jesus Purpose come that you might have Life and may have it more abundantly.
· Indwelling presence of the Spirit of God is designed to flow out to others.
· Ezekiels vision river from the house of God flow to the lost, dry, people in need.
· Unless there is an outward flow spiritual life becomes withered.
- purpose of God is frustrated.
2. The Man with The Withered Hand
(a) Key Passages Mark 3: 1 6
(b) He entered the Synagogue (v1)
· Synagogue = local church, gathering to worship called to extend the Kingdom of God.
· Called to represent Christ extend His hand to the World.
· Prophetic picture of the nation failing to reach beyond self.
(c) He had a Withered Hand (v1)
· Hand = Works, doing something, activity, productive work.
= Ministry (serving) people.
· Right Hand (Lk 6:6) = main hand you work with.
= Hand of blessing (Mt.25L33)
= Power of God (Exod. 15:6)
· Withered = Dried up, shrivelled, scorched, no life
= Like a piece of fruit left under the bed withered.
= Not functioning as God intended.
= No extension of the love of God to reach the World.
= Turned inward turned in on self.
= Shame concealed withdrawn.
· What has withered you?
- What caused you to lose vitality, draw back from serving God?
- What caused you to become withered and turn inward?
- Trials and difficulties? e.g. Mt.13:6
- Offenses bitterness?
- Disappointment Grief?
- Negative words spoken?
- Spiritual pressure resistance?
- Unfulfilled expectations?
· You choose your response becoming withered is a consequence of disconnection.
· Brain Aneurism can cause hand to become withered
what are you thinking? What are you believing in your heart?
(d) Jesus Spoke to the Man (v3)
(i) Arise and Stand Forth
Arise = to awaken from sleep, inactivity, death, disease.
Heart of the Father is to restore Jesus came to give life abundant.
Arise! must shake off passivity and defeat and inward focus.
Make a decision to stand up on the inside.
Stand Forth! Dont hide in the crowd.
Dont conceal yourself hide your gift.
(ii) Stretch Forth
The miracle is in the stretch reaching beyond comfort.
Stretch = to extend out the hand beyond normal position.
As he stretched the power of God was released.
Dont wait until you see change believe and stretch.
(iii) Application How you can stretch Be Intentional!
(a) Care for people
· Look for opportunity to do acts of Kindness.
· Smile, appreciation, practical help.
· Generosity to people let people see reality of your life.
(b) Hear people
· People are isolated and struggle with issues connect.
· Enter their world ask questions take an interest.
· What is happening?
· What is their journey?
· What are they concerned about?
(c) Share your Life
· What can you do/give to make their world a better place?
· Your testimony your journey with Christ share it!
· What has Christ done for you let people see it!
· Commit daily to pray for people for opportunities.
· Extend your faith to believe for doors to people to open.
· Arise stretch forth your hand.
Let the life and power of God begin to flow!