27 November 2011
(i) Sin = an unintentional wrong, action committed in ignorance (Lev. 4:27 –
sins of ignorance.
(ii) Transgressions = wrong committed with full knowledge.
(iii) Iniquity = an inner twist that moves a person to commit sins and
2. What is Iniquity?
(i) It is the driving power, the motivating force behind sins and transgressions.
· Whenever sins and transgressions occur iniquity is remembered – it is the root cause.
(ii) It is an internal corrupting force
· Mt.23:28 “Even so outwardly appear righteous to man but inside you are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.”
· It is an inner torment, pain, pressure, force that motivates people to sin.
(iii) It is a painful and lasting influence
· The first mention of the word iniquity is associated with Cain.
· Gen. 4:11-13 “My punishment is greater than I can bear.”
· Punishment = Heb 5771 Avon = punishment, iniquity.
· O.T. Avon = to bend, twist, distort, do perversely, be crooked.
= an inner force that causes a person to be twisted.
= a punishment – a painful long lasting consequence of a
· Dictionary: iniquity = wickedness from wicca = to twist, wick-twisted condition.
· N.T. Iniquity =458= anomia = illegal, violate the law of God, contempt for the law.
· Person thinks: I am an exception – this law does not apply to me.
(iv) It is the motivating force or power behind sins and transgressions
E.g. Gen. 4:5 Why are you angry?
Cain was angry with God and angry with his brother Abel.
· Anger = iniquity = motivating force or drive.
· Murder = transgression = resulting action.
E.g. Sermon on the Mount.
· Mt.5:21-22 Anger = iniquity; murder = resulting action.
· Mt.5:27-28 Lust = iniquity; adultery = resulting action.
· Iniquity is the spider – sins and transgressions are the web.
3. What is the Root Cause of Iniquity?
(i) The Origin is Demonic
· Ezek.28:14-18 “Iniquity was found in you.”
· The first occurrence of iniquity – it was found in Lucifer.
· He desired (lusted) after things that belonged to God –
· Lucifer became corrupted by iniquity and sought to rebel against God.
· He traded – exchanged his relationship and role with God in order to exalt himself.
· Satan – imparted iniquity into Adam and Eve – spiritual impartation.
(ii) The Origin is Generational
· Exod.20:1-6 “..visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generation of them that hate me.”
· If God applied the death penalty to Adam immediately then no descendents.
· God showed justice – He required a consequence for sin.
· God showed mercy – He spread the death penalty over several generations. He forgave their transgressions but the consequences were carried to successive generations in the form of a twist or bent towards sinning.
· The sin is charged to the offender – the iniquity is spread over three or four generations.
· Ps.106:6 “We have sinned with our fathers – we have committed iniquity.”
· Iniquity manifests as a twist towards sin – if the family members sins it carries on.
· E.g. murder = anger is passed on
Idolatry = pride, fear is passed on
Sexual sin = lust of all kinds is passed on
· E.g. King David’s sin of adultery and murder = iniquity passed on to family.
Family experienced = rape, murder, betrayal
David’s origin – tribe of Judah = sexual sin with daughter in law Tama
Resultant iniquities – rejection (Dt.23:2) lust (Ps.57:5).
(iii) How is Iniquity passed on?
· Human spirit carries iniquity
· Human DNA carries “twists”
· Family environment – how the child is raised.
4. What is the Remedy? The Blood of Jesus!
· Tit.2:14 “He redeemed us from all iniquity”
· Is.53:5-6 “He was bruised (shed blood) for our iniquities the Lord has Laid on Him the iniquity of all”
· Col.2:14-15 “He took away the list of ordinances that was against us!
· Heb.10:12-17 “Their iniquities I will remember no more
· New Covenant = New Spirit = New Spiritual DNA!
· How can I be free?
(i) Confession of iniquity (fathers and own Lev.26:40-42; Neh.9:2)
(ii) Faith – believe and confess what Jesus did (Rom.6:6)
(iii) Depart from iniquity (2 Tim2:19).