19 December 2010
“Enlarge the place of your tent .. do not spare (hold back)”
· Enlargement requires change in heart, in thinking, in speaking and in doing.
2. Laying on of Hands with Prophecy
(a) Key Verse Acts 13:1-4
· Church at Antioch responded to the call of God to the nations.
· Church at Jerusalem lost its influence in the centre of Holy Spirit activity.
· The Heart of God is for nations – purpose of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit – Acts 1:8.
(b) Laying on of Hands
(c) Acts 13: 1-4 Paul and Barnabus – called to apostolic work
apart for a work required by the Holy Spirit
(d) Timothy called to apostolic
1 Tim 4:14 “Neglect not the gifts in you – given by prophecy with the laying on of hands of presbytery”.
2 Tim 1:6 “Stir up the gift of God which is in you by the laying on of hands.
· Prophetic utterance called forth the gifting and activated within Timothy.
· Laying on of hands = impart – confirm – commission.
· Apostles saw what the Holy Spirit was doing and spoke, prophesied and confirmed it.
· Commission = to confirm authority and empower for mission.
3. Recognising Apostolic Ministry
(i) Separation to God by personal adversity (Mt.10)
· Apostolic ministry always provokes demonic opposition
· Causes manifestation in the spirit realm – opposition to the Government of God
· e.g. Acts 13:6
· Need to honour spiritual adversity as a sign that points to apostolic ministry
(ii) Progressive surrender to the Purpose of God (Phil. 2:5-10)
· Process of personal emptying yielding will and reputation
· Process of laying down personal agenda or personal benefit
· Sincerely seek the benefit of the people to serve
· Phil 2:20
(iii) Purifying of Motivations of Heart (Mt. 6:19-24)
· Process of letting go love of material things
· Heart set on God so not captivated or distracted
· Key tests are the tests of heart
· No favourites - can love and welcome all
(iv) Overcome love of Money (Mt 6:24)
· This is a master apostolic ministry must conquer
· Cannot serve God and Mammon – spiritual power
· Money can lock the mind and heart against the will and purpose of God
· Pharisees Mt. 23 – religious – love of money
· Issues of love/hate loyal/despise
· There is a process of dealing with love of money
· Key evidence is generosity!
(v) Operate in Power Ministry (2 Cor. 12:2)
· Apostolic is characterised by signs and miracles
· Paul (Rom 5:1-19) Philip (Acts 8:5-10)
· God bears witness by miracles