31 May 2009
· Exodus 33:16 -
· Key distinguishing characteristic as God’s people – Manifest presence of God.
· Many people live a good life – our distinctive = the abiding manifest presence of God.
· Jesus was constantly aware of the presence of the Holy Spirit and the Father. He knew he was never alone John 16:32
· We must learn how to become conscious, aware of God’s presence. We must cultivate fellowship with God.
a) Woman with the issue of blood:
b) Man with demonic son:
c) Walking in the presence of God requires faith – must believe in the heart:
· 2 Corinthians 5:7 - “we walk by faith not by sight”
Ø “Sight” – refers to the natural realm of the mind, what you see.
Ø “Faith” – refers to the spirit realm, faith in the heart, see what God says.
Ø People interpret to walk by faith and not by feelings, they ignore the feeling dimension.
Ø The Western mindset/Greek philosophers – thing thoughts.
Ø Hebrew/Bible culture – feels thoughts, experience what you are thinking in your heart.
Ø We must learn to open the inner man and connect our thoughts and feelings.
Ø We can experience and feel the tangible presence of God.
Ø Exercise senses to develop spiritual awareness and feelings.
Ø People learn to shut down feelings. They block their feelings and select where to open their feelings.
3. Imagination Connects you to the Realm of the Spirit:
a) Your imagination is your ‘seeing gift’ from God:
· Imagination = mental picture to see within the spirit of your mind, realm of seeing, virtual world.
· Imaginations talk to you and connect you to the spirit realm.
· Imagination = picture situations not yet happened, picture conversations not yet had.
· All creativity comes from the spirit into imagination.
· Imagination can bring all sorts of possibilities.
b) Vain Imaginations connect you to Demonic Spirits:
· Exodus 20:4 - “not make idol = ‘connect image’ – not worship” (yield to)
· Behind the idol/carved image is a demonic spirit.
· Ezekiel 8:12 - the chambers of imagination,
Ø Chambers = an apartment or inner room or concealed private room.
Ø Imaginary = imagination.
1. Conversations imagined
2. Fear – picture in mind = feelings = spirit of fear
3. Pornography – picture in mind = feelings = spirit perverse
4. Video games/sorcery – picture in mind = feelings = spirit of sorcery
· Matthew 5:28 - Heart Adultery
· Example: Students bound to spirit of sorcery playing games.
· Imagination connects you to the spirit realm.
c) Meditation on Truth of God’s Word – Connect to God:
· Imagination engages the feelings and spirit world behind the thought.
· Meditate – to picture thoughts, to engage imagination to picture thoughts, feel thoughts.
· Psalm 77:6 - “I meditate within my heart, my spirit makes diligent search”
· Connection between meditation and activity of the spirit man to reach out to God.
· Use imagination to see and feel thoughts:
Love of God Joy of the Lord Compassion of God
Peace of God Glory of God Forgiveness
Presence of God
4. Simple Keys to Practicing the Presence of God:
1) Free up your spirit – pray in tongues, energise your spirit man.
2) Faith – expectation of experience to meet God, encounter God, draw near to Him.
3) Focus thoughts – consciously direct your thoughts and mind towards the truth – picture it
clearly in your imagination.
4) Feel thoughts – use imaginations to engage the truth.
5) Frequent repetition until your established a pathway to encountering God.
- Alone each day with God
- Praise pause throughout the day