3 May 09
Genesis 2:15 - “The Lord took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to dress and keep it”.
· God measured out a ‘metron’, a sphere of influence, a garden to guard and cultivate.
· Your ‘metron’ includes everything over which God wants you to take responsibility.
· Every person has their own unique metron and you are responsible to God for that area/garden.
· To govern your metron you must be present and engaged not absent and disconnected.
· Your metron must know you are there => (1) Spiritually and Relationally present, spiritual watchman (2) Practical Activity, cultivate it.
· ‘Engaged’ = to occupy your thoughts and attitude, be involved, enter a conflict with a determined purpose.
Proverbs 4:24 - “Keep your heart with all diligence for out of it flows the issues of life”.
· Your heart => your inner man i.e. your spirit and soul.
· You are designed by God to release spiritual energy and life or ‘presence’.
· When some people enter a room others can sense their presence and respond.
· They are feeling or sensing the spiritual energy or life of that person.
Functions of Your Spirit:
(1) Gives Your Body Life and Energy:
· James 2:26 – “The body without the spirit is dead”.
· Your spirit gives life and energy and vitality to your body.
· The spirit of the believer is joined with the Holy Spirit.
· The Holy Spirit can energize our Spirit man and the soul and body become full of life.
(2) Quicken Your Thoughts – Help you think and make decisions:
· 1 Corinthians 2:11 – “What man knows the things of man serve the spirit of man which is in him?”
· When the energy and the life of your spirit flow it enables you to think clearly.
· If the spiritual flow within a person is weak, the person is unable to think clearly, indecisive.
· The Holy Spirit within you also quickens you thoughts when you yield to Him.
· 1 John 2:27 – “The anointing which you have received from Him abides … the same anointing teaches you concerning all things”.
(3) Enables Life and Personal Authority to flow out with your words:
· John 6:63 – “The words that I speak to you are spirit, they are life”.
· Your spirit enables life and energy to flow out with your words.
· Words are not just sound waves travelling from your mouth to others ears.
· Your words carry spiritual substance which gives people authority as you speak.
· The greater your personal authority the greater the ‘weight’ of your words.
(4) Releases a ‘Presence’ or ‘Charisma’ that flows from within and impacts others:
· John 7:38 – “He who believes in Me … out of His heart shall flow rivers of living waters”.
· The invisible part of man is as real as the physical body.
· Your spirit flows from within you and influences people – they ‘feel’ your presence.
· The presence of a person is felt, and triggers off thoughts in the minds of others.
· The thoughts that become stimulated within you are influenced by the presence of people you are in contact with especially people who carry authority.
· The Holy Spirit within us not only stirs our thoughts but also the thoughts of others around us.
3. How to Activate the Flow of Your Spirit:
1 Timothy 1:6 – “Therefore, I remind you to stir up the gifts of God which is in you …”
· The life of your spirit and the gifts of the Holy Spirit of God can be activated or stirred up.
· What kind of energy and presence do you bring?
(1) Energise Your Spirit - Keys:
· Strong praying in tongues – 1 Corinthians 14:4
· Meditate in the Word of God – Jeremiah 15:16
· Focus on the indwelling Presence of God – Acts 3:19
(2) Focus Your Soul:
· Your soul is the gate through which your spirit can flow e.g. mind and emotions.
· When your soul is focused in agreement with your spirit, life flows from within.
· When you soul is strong (prospers) there is a strong flow of spirit life.
· People call this ‘Charisma’ – a felt presence.
a) Purpose and Direction:
· Your soul is pointed in a certain direction
· Your purpose and direction is sensed by others
· Without strong sense of purpose – people do not challenge those around or influence them
· A focused life releases energy that impacts others.
b) Accepting Personal Responsibility:
· When you accept and embrace responsibility people sense it and tend to yield
· When you accept and embrace responsibility you become aware of a bigger picture
· When you accept and embrace responsibility you character begins to develop and grow
· Determination = to be strong or firm in your purpose, nor easily moved
· Maintaining purpose and responsibility requires determination
· It is much easier to shrink back, lose focus without determination
4. How Spirit Flow is Quenched:
1 Timothy 1:6 – “Stir up the gift of God … for God has not given you a spirit of fear ...”
· The life of your spirit flows through the gate of your soul.
· When your soul is clouded or chocked the spirit flow diminishes.
(1) Little or no spirit flow
(2) Little or no “presence”
(3) Become passive and shut down
(4) Become affected by thoughts and others
(5) ‘Came under’ the spiritual influence
· What causes this?
Ø Fear, disappointment, doubt, rejection, pain, self-pity, lack of ownership, lack of purpose, laziness
· Example: Acts 3:1-6 - Peter
i) Internal Positioning: ii) External Behaviour:
1) Assume responsibility 1) Stand up
2) Heart Embrace People 2) Engage with eyes
3) Clear sense of purpose 3) Listen from the heart – engage
4) Expect God to work 4) Speak words, direct, confident, warm
5) Be aware of inner thoughts 5) Do acts of kindness