30 December 07
· Proverbs 18:21 – “Death and life are in the power of the tongue…”.
· People are spirit beings – the words we speak are containers that carry spirit content.
· The words we speak have power to impact life or death – to change the course of our world.
· Ephesians 4:29 - “…that which is good for necessary edification that it might impart grace to the hearers”.
· “Impart grace” = supply something needed to build and to strengthen – life of God.
· This week: “Shaping Your Personal Spiritual Atmosphere”.
2. Atmosphere: What is it?:
· Root meaning: atmos = vapour; spharia = sphere
· Air surrounding the earth held to it by the force of gravity.
· Surrounding or prevailing mood, influence, environment.
· Distinct tangible quality that surrounds a person.
b) Examples – Different kinds of atmosphere:
* Polluted * Grief * Negativity * Pessimism
* Control * Confusion * Excitement * Enthusiasm
* Confidence * Romantic * Joy * Faith
· The atmosphere cannot be seen with the eye, but can be felt.
· The prevailing atmosphere influences people = they thrive or struggle e.g. David’s men were distressed; in dept; discontented (1 Samuel 22:2).
Under the influence of David’s prevailing spiritual atmosphere they were shaped and became “mighty men of valor”.
· The ‘atmosphere’ around a person can be shaped and developed.
3. Spiritual Atmosphere:
· The prevailing spiritual influence that surrounds a person.
· The Spiritual presence surrounding a person held in place by the life in their inner man.
· The distinctive and tangible spiritual presence surrounding a person.
b) What is Spiritual Atmosphere made of?
i) The Human Spirit - overflowing from a persons inner-man.
ii) Demonic Spirits - intimidating and oppressing person – like flies.
e.g. 1 Samuel 16:14 - Saul – oppressed
e.g. Acts 13:45 - Jews filled with envy.
iii) The Holy Spirit moving freely within and around a person.
· 1 Corinthians 6:17 - He that is joined to the Lord is one spirit.
· John 7:38-39 - Out of you inner most being shall flow rivers – Holy Spirit.
· When your spirit flows freely without restraint there is a release of the life of the indwelling Holy Spirit – Comes from intimacy.
· Charisma = spiritually imparted gifting or ability.
= spiritual power or authority that gives a person influence.
· E.g. Political Leaders: Kennedy = Entertainment; Religious = Luther King.
· Key factors in “personal charisma” = Focus + Sense Responsibility + Vocal Experience.
4. How to Shape Your Personal Spiritual Atmosphere:
· Shape = to create; cause to conform to a particular pattern.
· Key problem = to overcome is passivity!
· “Passive” = not participating readily or actively, inactive.
= submit to something without resistance.
= lacking will or energy, lethargic.
· There is no place for passivity in creating a strong personal spiritual atmosphere where you influence others.
· Matthew 11:12 - “The Kingdom of heaven suffers violence…”
“forceful” e.g. Caleb.
· “Violence” = to use or apply force, act energetically.
i) Take Responsibility for your Personal Spiritual Atmosphere - 2 Corinthians 5:20
· Reject the blame game
· Reject old mindsets – ‘That’s me’.
· Break out of passive mindsets.
· You are an ambassador of heavens.
ii) Develop Stronger Physical Expressions of Praise – Psalm 47:1
· Move body
iii) Develop Stronger Vocal Expressions of Praise – Psalm 100:4; Matthew 18:18
· Speaking in tongues.
· Thanksgiving – Word of God.
· Declaration of the Word of God.
· Praise – Word of God.
· Time in the Presence of God.
· Ephesians 5:18 – Filled with the Holy Spirit – speaking and singing and thanksgiving and praising.
iv) Manage Your Inner World – Your Soul – Proverbs 23:7
· Deal quickly with negative thoughts / feelings – acknowledge and resolve it.
· E.g. Guilt; Hurt; Anger; Offence; Fear - Keep focus on purpose.
v) Manage your Outer World - Psalm 101:3
· Guard what you allow to enter your inner world.
· What you see.
· What you hear.
· Who you fellowship with – resist negativity and unbelief.
vi) Consciously Release the Life of God - John 7:38
* Smile. * Speak positively, enthusiastically.
* Thank * Fill with your presence.
* Encourage * Engage people.