The Creative Power of the Tongue
16 December 07
· Proverbs 18:21 – “Death and life are in the power of the tongue”.
· Words we speak are containers – the carry a ‘spirit content’.
· Words we speak impact our life, relationships and future.
· We looked at the impact of Lying, Gossip, Flattery, Empty Words, Put Down Words, Angry Words.
· Now – the power use of the tongue – as God designed us.
2. Hoe God uses Words:
· Law of 1st mention – Genesis outlines the pattern and designs.
· God used Words:
1) To Create by Releasing:
· Genesis 1:1-4 - “And God said let there be light …it was good”.
· The first recorded use of words in the Bible, the creation of the natural realm.
· Words have power to create when spoken with faith – they release Power.
· Hebrews 11:3 - “By faith we understand the world we framed by the Word of God”.
· The created world was made out of things not visible, no seen.
· “Framed” = 2675 = to put together, put in order or arrange, make what ought to be.
2) To Establish, Nurture and Protect Relationship:
· Genesis 1:26 - “Let us make man in our image according to our likeness and let them have dominion”.
· God established man for relationships with Him by the use of words.
· God established a purpose and design for that relationship with words – Genesis 3:8.
· God protected the relationship by setting boundaries and speaking truth.
· Note: Eve fell into sin by listening to words.
Adam came into agreement with those words.
Adam failed to speak words to protect their relationship.
· Ephesians 5:1 - “We are called to be imitators of God – as His children”.
3. Your Tongue is your Glory:
· Why has God designed you with a tongue? What did He intent?
· Psalm 16:8-9 - “My heart is glad and my glory rejoices”.
· Acts 2:25-26 - “My heart rejoiced and my tongue was glad”.
· The tongue distinguishes man above all other living creatures.
· Peter was inspired by the Holy Spirit at Pentecost interprets
– Psalm 16:9 - “My tongue is my glory”.
· Psalm 30:12 - “My glory may sing praise to you” – your tongue is your glory.
· Glory = 3519 = kabad = weight, honour.
Rt = to honour, to bring honour to, to gain value, to impart value, honour.
· The words you release:
i) Reveal your heart.
ii) Can impart value and honour.
· Note: The first use of words in the Bible – was to create value, produce new things in the visible realm.
· The first use of Words after the Holy Spirit came on Pentecost:
i) Honour God the Source – Acts 2:11 and Acts 10:46.
ii) Speak and Act as His representative and create new life.
- Acts 2:4 - Peter standing up with the eleven raised his voice.
- Acts 2:40-41 - Those who gladly received his words were baptised.
- Acts 3:6 - In the Name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk.
4. God’s Design – Life Giving Words:
· John 6:63 - “The words I speak are spirit and life”.
Jesus is the model – He is the example to shape and build life upon.
· Two key purposes for our tongue:
i) Honour God – our Creator and Source:
a) Thanks Giving:
· Psalm 69:30 - “I will magnify Him with thanksgiving”.
· Psalm 50:23 - “Whoever offers praise magnifies Me”.
· Thanksgiving and praise create an atmosphere that God indwells.
· God delights in thanksgiving and praise – Hebrews 13:15-16
· Using our tongue to honour and express gratitude nurtures our relationships with Him – Romans 1:21
ii) Speak and Act as God’s Personal Representative:
· How do we use words to act as God’s representative?
a) Fulfill Commitments we make:
· Psalm 15:14 - “Swears to his own heart it does not change”.
· God is a covenant keeping God who watches over His words and reputation.
· When we keep our word – we act as God’s representative.
b) Use words to Establish, Nurture and Protect Relationships:
· Proverbs 15:23 - “A word spoken in season, how good it is”
- Isaiah 50:4
· Proverbs 15:4 - “A wholesome tongue is a tree of life”.
· Ephesians 4:29 - “No corrupt word – good for edifying that might impart grace”.
· Ephesians 4:15 - “Speaking the truth, in love we grow”
c) Use words to release the Supernatural Power of God:
· Faith Confession – Hebrews 3:1
· Prophetic Words – 1 Corinthians 14:3
· Faith Commands – Mark 11:22-24
· Prayer – James 5:16