20 January 08
· 2 Samuel 5:17-20 - “Go up, doubtless I will deliver the Philistines into your hand”.
· David had been anointed king – positioned to advance Israel as never before in history.
· God’s intention and plan was a season of great enlargement.
· Associated with enlargement is the grace to grow to breakthrough to win.
· Verse 17 - “the Philistines heard…all the Philistines went up to search for David”.
· Enlargement is accompanied by conflict to break out of restrictions.
· The Philistines sought to contain David – to take his life in Valley Rephaim.
· “Rephaim” - Giants = Place of intimidation.
· Verse 19 - David enquired of the Lord…”Go up for I will doubtless devour the Philistines into your hand”. Doubtless you will win! - But have to go up – contend in battle.
2. Be Assertive about Change / Enlargement:
Have to be assertive to break through limitations.
Not like that! Maybe now – but God has put an overcoming spirit in you!
Today is our day – must break through so we can impact our generation.
The Breaker = to break through, burst out of the womb, break limitations.
Jesus is the breaker – one with a breakthrough attitude and anointing.
“They” = people under His leadership – followers of Christ carry the same anointing.
Make decisions now about change, growth, enlargement, increase.
Fasting prepares the way.
3. Fasting is Rewarded Openly:
· Matthew 6:16 - “When you fast … in secret… Father who sees in heaven will reward you openly”.
· Position yourself for God to reward you openly – enter a season of fasting.
· Desire = discipline = delight in coming near to the Lord, presence of God.
· Discomfort of fasting is brief but rewards are lasting, life changing.
· Pursue the Presence of God - pursue purity - pursue Power of God.
· Luke 4:1-4 - Example of Jesus - season of fasting preceded impacting nations.
· Pattern – Jesus set aside season of seeking God in fasting as 1st priority.
· He waited in the Presence of the Father to receive revelation, instructions, empowering.
· Discover who He was, where from, destiny, what called to do.
· He accessed the realm of heaven for training and impartation.
· He also experienced spiritual conflict – verse9, 5 – transported by the devil physically – incredible supernatural conflict.
4. Benefits of Fasting:
1) Direct Release of Revelation of Supernatural Realm:
· John 5:19 - Jesus saw and heard in realm of the spirit.
· His encounter with the devil was a major supernatural conflict.
· He overcame the devil by a rhema – specific Holy Spirit anointed Word of God.
2) Power of the Flesh and Sinful Habits Weakened:
· Luke 4:2-3 - “…he was hungry….and the devil said”.
· Hunger would have been an overwhelming sensation within.
· Fasting weakens the hold of the body and the soul.
· Fasting can break the power of addictions e.g. caffeine, drugs etc.
3) Strengthen Awareness of Identity:
· Luke 4:4,9 - “…if you are the son of god, proof it”
· The devil pressure Jesus to prove identity by doing works.
· Jesus identity securely rooted in the word from the Father – Luke 3:22
· Our identity must be established by focusing on what God says.
4) Perspective on Life (wisdom):
· Luke 4:5-6 - “All this power I will give you if….”
· Jesus was offered a shortcut to fulfill his destiny – glory without the cross!
· Jesus firmly anchored in God’s perspective – the bigger picture.
· Fasting alters how we see life – what we value, how we ‘do life’.
5) Exposure of Motivations:
· Luke 4:22-23 - “all those in the synagogue….were filled with wrath”
· As Jesus spoke the truth he received doing fasting, people were exposed.
· “Good” church people manifested a religious spirit and wanted to kill him.
· Fasting uncovers and exposes hidden motivations – bring things to light.
6) Express Realm of Supernatural Protection:
· Luke 4:29-30 - “Passing through the midst of them He went His way”.
· Inspite of life threatening circumstances Jesus walked through the crowd.
· Fasting opened the way for supernatural protection.
7) Exposes Demonic Activity:
· Luke 4:33-34 - “a man with a spirit of an unclean demon cried out loud”.
· Jesus carried a strong presence of the Spirit of God…returned in power – verse 4.
· How can we help people unless the Holy Spirit exposes reality of the demonic?
· Fasting and prayer unlocks power over demonic spirits and exposes them.
8) Increase in Influence:
· Luke 5:16-17 - “…come out from every town…”
· Jesus’ influence increased because of the impact His life had.
· Fasting and prayer increase our influence and impact on people.
9) Release of Power to Change Impossible Situations:
· Luke 5:25 - ‘immediately he rose up before them”
10) Empowers Good Decision Making:
· Luke 6:12-13 - “He called his disciples to himself and chose twelve”.
· Will you fast, enter a season of seeking God?
· What will you do?
· How long will you fast?
· What is the purpose / outcome you are seeking?
· Celebrate and engage the presence of God.