Priority of the Kingdom
24 June 2007
· Matthew 6:33 - “Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added to you”
· “Kingdom” – what comes to mind, what picture? What concept?
· We tend to interpret Bible terms through our culture/experience.
· The Western world has lost the concept of a “Kingdom” – think Democracy.
· E.g.: Thailand = Kingdom E.g.: Tonga = kingdom E.g.: Britain = Kingdom
· E.g.: When we were young we used to sing “God save our Queen….born to rule over us”.
· We need to understand the Kingdom of God or think from culture – Democracy, Tribal.
2. The Focus of the Bible is on the Kingdom of God:
· God’s original purpose for man – a kingdom – dominion.
· Genesis 1:26 - “Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness, let them have dominion”.
· Man was created by God for a Kingdom – for dominion, sovereign rule.
· God’s design for man, key to his fulfillment, to extend the Kingdom of God in the earth.
· When man sinned – he rejected God’s government and lost direction and purpose.
· There’s a search in the heart of man for
1) Purpose – meaning for his existence.
2) Power – the ability to control life and circumstances.
· Man is seeking for the Kingdom that he lost.
· The Bible is about God’s Kingdom and governing earth.
e.g.: Jesus’ Ministry - The Beginning - Matthew 4:17
- His Preaching - Matthew 4:23
- His Teaching - Matthew 5:3
- His Priority - Matthew 6:33
- His Prayer - Matthew 6:10
- His parables - Matthew 13:24
- Matthew 13:31
- Matthew 25:14
- After Resurrection - Acts 1:3
e.g.: Apostles - Preaching - Matthew 9:35
- Philip - Acts 8:12
- Paul - Acts 19:8
e.g.: End Time - Daniel - Daniel 2:44
- John - Revelations 11:15
· We need a revelation of the Kingdom of God and how to operate in its life, power and privileges.
3. Priorities – Key to Success in Life:
· Priority = Putting 1st things 1st – majoring on the major.
· Life is a result of choices, we have decisions daily.
· How you spend your life is reflected in how you spend your time and money.
· Decisions are determined by your priorities – what you believe is important.
· Proverbs 23:7 - “As he thinks in his heart so is he”.
· Priority = The principal thing, the 1st in a rank of importance.
= The primary focus, placing in order of importance.
· When your priorities are right you preserve time, energy, life.
· Matthew 6:35 - “Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness…”
· First = Proton = 1st rank, time, order of importance.
· God makes it clear what should be the 1st priority of life and the benefits that come from this.
4. God’s Priority – The Kingdom First:
Matthew 6:24-34 - Jesus’ Teaching about Priorities.
1) You cannot serve two masters – verse 24
· Money – is it you master or your servant?
· People are in conflict over issue of money.
· Money = power – ability to accomplish.
· Pursuit of money competes with the relationship of God.
· God or Money – which one will be first in your life.
2) Don’t worry – be anxious over daily needs – verse 25
· Worry = to be anxious, distracted, divided.
· Everyone worries about the same things – basic needs met.
· Your life is more – much more than this to maintain a relationship with God.
· Your self worth is much more than those basic needs.
3) Number One Priority – Seek First – verse 33
· ‘Seek’ = Pursue after, to seek by thinking, meditating, prioritizing.
a) Kingdom = Highest value must be placed on the kingdom of God.
· Kingdom = NT 963 = Basileia = Dominion, sovereign rule, reign.
· Kingdom = God’s Government, wherever the Will of God is done and heavens influence and value advance.
· Kingdom = Governing influence of a King aver a territory that brings forth his will, purpose, values and desires.
b) Righteousness = Right positioning, standing in relationship with the King.
· Rights = to maintain right relationship and standing with authority so as to qualify for its privileges.
· Promise = All these things = financial, physical, emotional, relationship – added.