22 July 2007
· Matthew 28:18-20 - “All authority has been given to me…..go therefore…”
· Authority = the power of government, of rule, of judicial decision.
· Jesus Christ is absolute Lord and King over all creation.
· Jesus came to reveal the Father and restore out mandate.
· Mandate = a command or authorization to act in a particular way given
by a King to His ambassadors.
= to authorize, decree.
= a command for a superior court to a lower one.
· Our mandate is:
i) Global – Nations ii) Life transforming – teaching Kingdom life.
· To Believe = To obey, align with the King’s will.
· Mandate = Purpose not Preference; a Command not a Suggestion.
2. The Kingdom and the Church:
· Matthew 16:13-20 - “I will give you the keys of the Kingdom”
a) Revelation of the King - verse 13:
· Opinions = personal idea, attitude, prevailing way of seeing things.
· Opinions reflect beliefs – how I would live my life.
· Many opinions about Jesus – personal ideas.
· Peter’s revelation = Jesus = the Christ, the Son of the Living God.
= Jesus is the Messiah - The Coming King.
· Jesus was born King – came to reveal God and restore His Kingdom.
b) Revelation of the Church – verse 18:
· Church = Ecclesia = to call out, called out ones.
– Used by Greek/Romans to refer to the governing group in the nation.
– People hand picked to govern the nation on behalf of Emperor.
– NZ – Caucus.
· Meaning of the word ‘Church’ has been distorted.
· God’s intention has always been family, sons and daughters to enter His secret council and extend His Kingdom.
· Every Believer is to be a Son and Ambassador of the King.
· Revelation 12:24 - Nations shall walk in the light of the City of God.
· Every believer called to intimacy and to fulfill purpose.
· Every believer must understand authority; Be under and to exercise.
c) Revelation of the Kingdom Authority – verse 19:
· Keys of the Kingdom = authority to access and operate.
· Key = Knowledge and authority to enter and to speak.
· God gives us keys to open heaven and bring blessings to earth.
· We need to understand our authority as a believer.
· We are authorized to:
- Invite the Holy Spirit - Heal the sick
- Bless and release creative words - Bind and loose
- Inner healing - Raise the dead
- Break bondages/curses - Deliverance
- Release prosperity
· We are called to act as ambassadors of the Kingdom of Heaven.
· We must learn the principles of authority – how to govern.
· Mathew 8:8-10 - The Creation
i) He recognized authority and submitted to it.
ii) He was a man under authority.
iii) He exercised authority.
· Note: Jesus commendation – “Great Faith”
Recognizing and responding to earth positions us to exercise authority.
· Note: The religious people had knowledge but did not enter or experience Kingdom life and power – form without power.
d) Revelation of the Nature of the Kingdom:
Matthew 16:21-23 - “The Kingdom reflects the nature of the King”.
Peter’s opinion - Response when forced with submission to the Will of God.
· “Pity yourself” - “Be it far from you!” - rebuked Jesus.
· Peter’s mentality = preserve yourself, personal rights are important.
· He wanted to preserve his position and privileges.
· He wanted a Jesus that could give him what he wanted.
· People desire a Jesus to bless, benefit – but He is a King.
· Kingdom = call to submit to the will/authority of God.
· Submission = a paradox = gives freedom!
· Whatever / whoever submit to come under the authority.
· Become like the character of the one you submit to.
John 5:9 - Jesus was a submitted person.
E.g. Submitted to parents - Luke 2:51-52
Submitted to John the Baptist - Matthew 3:15
Submitted to Government authority - Matthew 22:21
· Jesus confronted the spirit the was behind Peters statement.
· Conflict between Kingdom God (submission/humility) and King Satan (pride/lawlessness)
· Romans 13:1-2 - “All must be under authority”.
· Source of Authority = GOD
· God delegated authority;
= positional – church, home, government, world.
= personal – men anointed thus relationships.
· Our choice to position ourselves under authority.
E.G. Acts 9:44-15 - Paul encountered direct authority – placed under delegates.