Positioning For Change
9 September 07
· Series “Under Cover” surfaces out attitudes to those in positions of authority everywhere.
· As we become aware of negative attitudes and reactions we can choose to change.
· Genesis 45:4-8 - “It was not you who sent me here but God”.
· Joseph resolved all the injustices: unfair treatment by trust in God.
· He saw that God turned the evil into opportunity and destiny.
2. The House of Mercy:
a) Great Multitude of Sick People – verse 3:
· God is a God of mercy and compassion – willing to heal and restore.
· Great multitudes of people suffer from sickness, abuse, broken relationships.
· Blind – no sense of vision, purpose or direction.
· Lame – unable to walk in the power and purpose of God.
· Withered – unable to function properly – withdraw, turn inward.
b) Abusive Relationships Destroy Lives:
· News paper article: “Patterns formed in first relationships (parents) determine all other relationships”.
· Pattern = an original model for copy or imitation.
= a plan to be followed in making other relationships.
· Patterns formed in relating to parents – 1st authority figures become the plan that is followed in every other relationship.
· Abuse = wrongful use of something.
= to change the inherit purpose or function of something.
· If we don’t know the purpose or the design of something - will mistreat or damage.
· E.G: * Alcoholic parent * Over protective
* Sexual abuse * Angry
* Absent parent * Verbal abuse
* Silent * Divorce
* Manipulative * Blended families
· Children are impacted deeply by the emotional / spiritual environment they are raised in – forms patterns for relating to others.
· Pastor Mike’s personal example.
c) How Patterns Form:
· Experience = beliefs = patters and behavior.
· Painful experiences = anger, distrust, fear, bitterness
= wrong beliefs
= control people and circumstances to ‘feel
3. Freedom is a Choice:
· John 5:5-7 - “Do you want to be made whole?”.
· Key issues that Jesus raised with this man!
a) Freedom is a Choice:
· John5: 6 - “want” = to purpose, be resolved, determine in your mind.
· Cannot change what others did – can change how we read.
· Self pity keeps people locked into patterns of reaction.
b) Excuses must be laid aside:
· John 5:7 - “I have no man”.
· To be free is to stop blaming others, making excuses.
· Excuses prolong victim mentality.
· Must take responsibility for reactions to injustice.
c) Put away Sinful Reaction:
· John5:14 - sign no more – the problem he had was covered by sin.
· Psalm 18:30 - “As for God, His way is perfect”.
· Psalm 18: 32 - “He makes my way perfect”.
· Must decide whether to hold onto pain / reactions or to let go.
· Revenge is sweet but destructive.
· Romans 12:17,21 - “Be not overcome by evil – overcome evil with good”.
· Key: Acknowledge pain, hurt and reaction.
· Key: Release forgiveness to offender.
· Let go bitterness / resentment / judgment.
d) Respond to God’s Word with Faith:
· John 5:8 - “Rise, take up your bed and walk”
· Every word from God has power to transform us if we receive, believe and respond to it.
· Bring the situation to God to empower you:
- 1 Thessalonians 5:18 - “Everybody give thanks”
- 1 Timothy 4:14-15 - “Thanksgiving allows God to use the situation for
· Do what God say to do: