Eternal Destiny – Part 2
How will you spend it?
22 April 2007
· Two most important things to do:
i) Secure your Eternal Destiny.
ii) Discover and Fulfill God’s purpose in your life.
· Ephesians 2:8-10 - “For by grace have you been saved through faith and that not of yourselves, it is a gift of God not our works”.
i) Saved by faith alone – No Works
verse 8-9 - Belief determines where eternity
ii) Called – to works God purposed for your life
verse 10 - Behaviour determines how eternity will be spend.
2. Two Eternal Destinations:
i) Jesus’ Teaching: Two Destinations:
· Matthew 25:46 - Everlasting punishment – eternal life.
· Jesus has given clear teaching that there are 2 eternal destinies – all will know this.
· Within 5 minutes of death all will be clear!
· Atheist will know there is a God.
· Money can buy you nothing.
· Jesus is the way – the Only way.
· Too late to make a decision.
· Discover sprit guides are rally deceiving demons.
· Going to church, being “good” doesn’t save.
· Believed would get another chance – now none.
· Loved life without God – spend eternity without Him.
ii) The Unbeliever will be in torment:
· Luke 16:19-31 “…the rich man died and was buried and being in torment in Hades…”
· Verse 24 - “I am tormented in this flame” - he is totally aware of his existence and pain.
· Verse 28 - “This place of torment” - he is in a specific place – Hades.
· The Rich man - was aware that he had not repented.
- had no argument about why he was in that place of torment.
- made no attempt to request getting out of that place.
- must have faced judgment immediately after death – Hebrews 9:27.
iii) The Believer will be in Heaven:
· Luke 16:22 - “…the beggar died and was carried by angels into ‘Abraham’s bosom’...”
· Abraham is the Father of all believers – Galatians 3:6-9 - only those of faith are sons of Abraham.
· Abraham’s bosom – term used by Jews to describe paradise.
· Hades – divided into 2 parts: Paradise and Place of torment.
· Matthew 23:43 - After Jesus’ death he went to Hades to Paradise – place of believers.
· Ephesians 4:8-9 - Jesus descended into the lower regions – Hades and emptied paradise.
· 2 Corinthians 12:2-4 - Paradise now is Heaven, 3rd Heaven where God dwells.
· Matthew 27:52-53 - After Jesus’ resurrection many of the saint seen – now in heaven.
iv) The Believer is carried by Angels:
· Luke 26:22 - “…the beggar died and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s bosom.
· Lazarus did not have an elaborate funeral but had a great reception.
· Carried by angels – ministering spirits – Hebrews 1:4.
· As he exited his body angels escorted him into paradise.
· Genesis 25:8,17 - Abraham died …and was gathered to his people.
· Job 27:19-22 - The rich man will be down but not be gathered up.
· Both Lazarus and the rich man must have faced a point of judgment.
v) Why Lazarus was in Paradise:
· Not because he was poor.
· Exodus 30:14-15 - The atonement money for the rich and the poor was exactly the same.
· Ephesians 2:8-9 - By grace – through faith – nothing to do with riches.
· Lazarus = 2976 = God is my helper.
· Bible names are prophetic of peoples life, walk with God.
· Jesus knew Lazarus by name – Lazarus not known on earth but known in heaven.
· Can only claim to know someone if that person also knows you, acknowledges you.
· Luke 13:22-28 - He will answer and say to you, “I do not know you”.
· Must know God personally – not just know about Him.
· 2 Timothy 2:19 - “…the Lord knows those who are his and let everyone who names the Name of Christ depart from iniquity”.
· Lazarus must have repented and believed.
vi) Repentance and faith are essential for Salvation:
· Luke 16:30 - The rich man was aware in Hades of the need to repent!
· Repent = Change in mind and heart and life towards sin.
· There can be no reconciliation with God without repentance.
· Luke 17:1-4 - Forgiveness is conditional….IF you repent.
· “Cheap grace” => forgiven without repentance.
=> violates the justice of God.
=> pretends the offence is unimportant.
· God does not separate the sin from the sinner – he holds the sinner responsible for his sin.
· Acts 2:30 - “…God …now commands all men everywhere to repent!”.
· Acts 2:38 - By grace (the power of God) are you saved (from eternal torment) by faith (believing and entrusting your life to Jesus Christ).
3. Not all will be the same in Heaven:
i) God is a Just God:
· Genesis 18:25 - “…Shall not the judge of all the earth do right?”
· God is a right and just Judge – he acknowledges what we have done.
· God acknowledges not just that we know Him but how we have served Him!
ii) All of us must give account to Christ:
· Romans 14:10-12 - So then each of us shall give account of himself to God.
· All believers must stand before Christ – how have we served Christ on earth?
· What Christ will examine is our works – have we fulfilled his purpose?
iii) There are degrees of a Reward in Heaven:
· Matthew 16:27 - “…then he will reward each according to his works”.
· Reward = misthos = wages, a recompense for work that has been done.
· ‘Each’ – every person who has acknowledged Christ.
· Eternal destruction – result of believing in Christ – there because of grace alone.
· Eternal reward – result of how we served Christ – works we did!
· There is a direct connection between how we will be in heaven and what we did on earth.
· “What we do in time – echoes throughout eternity”.
iv) Reward or Loss – For Eternity:
· 1 Corinthians 3:8-15 - Each one will receive his own reward according to his own labor.
· Every believer is called for a purpose – God has works for us to accomplish.
· Jesus will evaluate our works – what sort they are, what value?
· Consequence: Reward – eternal compensation, abundant entrance!
Loss – of opportunity and compensation – just made it!