28 January 2007
· The greatest tragedy in life is not death – but life without the sense of destiny and purpose.
· Ecclesiastes 3:1,11 - “He has put eternity in their hearts”.
· No one wants to fail in life – there’s a struggle within every human being for “success”.
· Ask people: What is your destiny? What is you purpose? - most can’t answer that.
· Definition: - A predetermined course of events.
- Something for which a person is moving towards.
- The power or force that determines the course of events.
· Destiny provides meaning for our life: Why am I here? Where am I going?
· Destiny is Not Luck: A force that works for good or bad.
· Destiny is Not Fate: Greek mythology – 3 decrepit goddesses controlling life.
· Romans 8:28-29 - “Predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son”
- Purpose: intention; the setting forth of something in new or to arrange before hand with a reason.
- Predestined: to predetermine, decide before hand, to decree with eternity.
· Purpose and destiny cannot be understood unless you know the source = God.
- Destined to become like Christ – Royalty! - He his King of a spiritual World.
- Revelation 1:5-6 - “…made us kings and priests unto our God”.
· Definition: - The reason for which something exists or has been made.
- That something has been designed to accomplish.
· The purpose always comes before the creation.
· E.g. Electric jug: Purpose = to boil water – the jug designed for purpose.
· Ephesians 2:10 - Workmanship created in Christ Jesus.
· “Before ordained” = 4282 = to prepare in advance, make ready beforehand.
· Long before you were born God designed you for a purpose.
· “Works” = activities that you are uniquely prepared to fulfill.
3. Examples of Men of Destiny:
i) Jeremiah1:5-7 - Jeremiah
· God created and formed Jeremiah to fulfill a specific purpose.
· God destined him to be a prophet and fulfill an assignment.
· Before God formed Jeremiah – He knew him, He designed him for a purpose for his life.
· “Formed” = 3335 = to squeeze into shape, to mould as a potter.
· “Knew” = 5234 = to pay attention, to be acquainted with the details.
· Psalm 139:16 - “Your eyes saw my substance – being yet unformed”.
· Before Jeremiah was born - he had a destiny and purpose prepared by God.
· Purpose = assignment - a task or responsibility to fulfill in life.
· Jeremiah was responsible: (1) To connect with the source.
(2) Fulfill his purpose.
ii) 1 Kings 13:2 - Josiah
· 1 Kings 13:2 - “Man of God … Behold a child Josiah by name..”
· 2 Chronicles 34:1-3 - “He did that which was right in the sight of the Lord.
· Josiah’s prophetic destiny pronounced 300+ years before.
· Josiah’s purpose/destiny known by God in eternity.
· Josiah chose (1) To connect with God
(2) Discover his purpose
(3) Fulfill it.
· He did not identify with natural family origin – family of Manasseh.
· He identified with God the source of his destiny.
iii) 1 Peter 1:18-20 - Jesus
· 1 Peter 18-20 - “….foreordained before the foundation of the world”.
· Foreordained = 4267 = to have the knowledge of someone long before.
· Long before creation God forplanned that Jesus Christ His Son would be manifest in the earth and die on the cross for the sins of man.
· John 17:4 - “I have finished the work you have given me to do”.
Jesus’ life fulfilled – He understood His destiny and His purpose.
- John 13:3 - Jesus knew His origin and destiny.
- Luke 19:10 - Jesus knew his life purpose.
4. We have a Destiny and Purpose:
Romans 8:28-29 - “….called according to his purpose”.
· God has a purpose for all men – to discover this we need to examine God’s original purpose for men in Genesis.
· God has a specific purpose for your life.
· You can never find fulfillment until you discover and do what God designed you to do.
· The 1st step: Connect with Go through faith in Christ – John 1:12