25 February 2007
· Ecclesiastes 3:11-14 - “He has put eternity in their heart”.
· You are here for a reason, a purpose – that goes on into eternity.
· Purpose = the reason for which something exists; the manufacturers original intent for making it.
· God is your source – the designer – the giver of life.
· He knows why he gave you personality, gifts, desires that make you unique.
· Only God knows the purpose he called you into existence.
· If you try to life your life without God you will live without purpose – meaning.
· Life without purpose leads to abuse – abnormal use.
· 1 Corinthians 2:11-12 - “no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God”. God wants to reveal His thoughts, plans and purpose for your life.
Genesis 1:26-28 - “let us make man in our image..”
God created the unique species – human beings for a purpose.
i) To express God’s Image – reflect what He is like.
He wants you to look like you and act like Him – to reflect Him.
ii) To enjoy relationship with God – and with people.
Genesis 3:8 - “They heard the voice of God walking in the garden”.
Genesis 2:18 - “not good for man to be alone”.
We are made for vital relationships – not to live alone / without God.
iii) For Dominion.
· He wants us to have dominion - to rule over things not people.
· Without God we become dominated and controlled by things.
iv) To be Fruitful – Productive.
· You are made to be productive with the gifts, recourses, opportunities.
· Your full potential can never be re-aligned without the revelation with God.
v) To Reproduce – to impart into others values, attitudes, purpose.
· Your words, actions, example impacts those around us.
· We are called to impact the lives of those around us.
· The release of your potential is already related to your willingness to discover, understand and submit to God’s purpose for your life.
· Life without God – come under the control of people, sports, things, circumstances.
· Life without God – potential is abused and the purpose unfulfilled.
3. Keys to Discovering God’s Purpose:
· Jeremiah 1:5 - “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you – sanctified you, I ordained you a prophet of nations”.
· The Bible abounds with people who discovered their Purpose and Fulfillment.
· Acts 13:22; Acts 13:36 - David served his generation by the will (purpose) of God.
· God has planned a purpose for you – there must be a way to discover.
· It is your responsibility to discover God’s purpose embrace and fulfill it.
· Keys: - Connect with God
- Take time to think and reflect on your life.
· Key 1- What is the Desire of Your Heart?:
- Psalm 37:4 - “Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart”.
- Within you is a desire and a command to be fruitful.
- Desire is a God-given force within us – Desire can be good – or bad.
- God knows our personality, gifts, passion – He uses those to causes us to desire experiences that offer fulfillment.
- Desire is not a whim, passing thought (fantasy) but longing.
- Desire is linked to destiny – What do you really want?
· Key 2 – What is it that Stirs Your Passion?:
- Passion is a zeal, fire, excitement that stirs and energizes you.
- John 2:17 - “The zeal of your house has eaten me up”.
- Passion is an energizing force that causes us to come alive within!
- E.G. Electronics, Children: business, serving-helping, details.
- What are you passionate about?
What do you love? Hate? Enthusiastic about? Grieve over?
- Romans 12:11 “fervent in spirit – serving the Lord”. – What stirs you?
· Key 3 – What Flows Naturally out of You?:
- John 7:38-39 - “…out of his heart shall flow rivers of living water”.
- Fulfilling God’s purpose feels natural, feels right, it flows easily.
- Don’t be complicated – what God designed you will do flow from you.
- Seems “so natural” we think “that” is “me” – don’t realize it is purpose.
- Often we don’t see the impact of what we do – “too natural”.
- God’s purpose is “natural”, easy, not spectacular.
- Romans 12:4-8 - “… having gifts differing according to grace that is given to us!”.
- God gives grace – an empowerment to fulfill his purpose.
- Fulfilling someone else’s dream – burdens, heavy, unnatural, and stressful.
- Trying to become like someone else – stirring, lack of peace, joy.
- What God has designed you to do flows naturally.
· Key 4 – What are You Good at?:
- Matthew 12:33 - A tree is known by it’s fruit.
- Every person has a divine command – directive to be productive.
- Fruitfulness – productivity is part of the DNA of God’s Kingdom.
- God expects us to be productive – He designed and commanded it.
- E.G. Parable of the Fig tree – Luke 13:6-9.
- E.g. Parable of Talents – Matthew 25.
- What are you good at? Get results? Gifted at?
- God has designed you to be good at something – Planned Success.
- Manage – family, finances, influence people, fruitful for life.
- God is a God of Purpose – He has a purpose for you.
Matthew 16:27 - Reward each according to his works – purpose has external consequences.