11 February 2007
· Romans 8:28-29 - “God is a God of destiny and purpose”.
· Destiny = predetermined course of events leading to fulfillment of a plan.
· Purpose = The reason for which something exists – why it was made.
· Purpose always precedes design and creation – ignorant of purpose leads to abuse.
· Purpose gives hope; focus, motivation, meaning for life.
· Colossians 2:8 - Human philosophy
= no purpose, no reason, no destiny.
= no absolutes – sex, drugs, homosexuality.
= no understanding of how designed, low esteem.
· We are people of purpose and destiny – have eternity in our heart. Ecclesiastes 3:11
· God has a plan for us – can communicate it to us – unfolds in steps.
a) Before man was created – God had a plan:
· Matthew25:34 - “…kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world”.
· Kingdom = Government which has a king as absolute ruler.
= Realm or territory over which a king rules – His will is done.
· Kingdom of God =
i) Everlasting Kingdom - Psalm 145:13
ii) Visible and Invisible - Psalm 103:19
iii) Rles over Nations - Acts 17:26; Daniel 4:17
b) God’s purpose for man:
· Genesis 1:26-28
· “Make man”
- New species to come into existence – different to all other species.
- Species with spirit beings living in a body.
- Able to dwell in physical and spirit world.
· Why God Made Man:
i) Express God’s image – express what God is like.
ii) Enjoy relationship – connect intimately – father/son.
iii) Dominion – rulership on the earth.
iv) Bear fruit.
v) Reproductive – family for God.
· God’s decree – declaration, legally binding command.
=> “Man shall have dominion – rule over the earth as ambassadors”.
=> “Man shall act as ambassador and extend the Kingdom of God in the earth”.
c) Adam lost the right to rule:
· Adam declared independence from God.
· Adam severed relationship with the King of Heaven.
· Adam abandoned his position as Ambasador.
· Adam lost (1) Relationship with the King (2) Kingdom
· Luke 4:5-7 - The ruler became ruled over!
By: Guilt, Fear, Shame, Loss of Purpose, Loss of Dominion, Pain, Frustration.
3. Jesus came to Restore Dominion:
a) Jesus’ Massage – The Kingdom.
· Matthew 4:17 - Repent – the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand.
· Jesus came to restore (1) Relationship with the King (2) Kingdom
b) Jesus Modeled Relationship:
· John 14:8-10 - “He that has seen me has seen the Father”.
· John 6:38 - “Come down from Heaven, not to down own will but the will of Him”.
c) Jesus Modeled Dominion:
· Matthew 4:23 - “Healed the sick”.
· Matthew 12:28 - “Cast out demons”.
· Modeled ruling – manifesting the life and power of heaven into the earth.
· Dominion over nature, demons, sickness, death – servant King!
· God’s plan and purpose is to conform us to become like Christ!
4. The Gospel of the Kingdom:
a) Gospel = Good news.
- We can come hoe to our Heavenly Father.
- We can become sons and daughters of God, John 1:12
- We can rule again – come into a place of dominion.
· Philippians 3:20 - Our citizenship is in Heaven.
· A Kingdom consists of a King with citizens of the Kingdom.
· “Christian” was a derogatory term given to believers, followers of Christ. (Name given by non-believers to believers).
- Acts 11:26 - Disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.
- Christian is not a label or a title – it is a lifestyle.
- Too many Christians are just religious people.
· Citizen = a person with privileges and regal rights.
· We are called to be citizens, ambassadors, sons of God.
· God wants Relationship and Rulership not Religion.
b) God wants His sons to advance the Kingdom:
· Luke 15:20-24 - Prodigal son.
· God wants sons not servants – sons with a heart to serve.
= That robe, that first or principle robe.
= long garment, sign of dignity reserved for a Special Occasion.
= Isaiah 61:10 - Robe of righteousness.
= a mark of wealth, dignity worn by the rich and those in public office.
= Gave a ring => mark favor, affection, confirming
· E.g. Genesis 41:42 - Pharaoh/Joseph
Esther 8:2 - King/Mordecai
Luke 11:12 - by the finger of God cast out spirits.
Ephesians 1:13-14 - Garment of the Holy Spirit given to us.
- captives shoes had been removed.
- When restored to liberty – shoes were restored.
- Ephesians 6:15 - preparation of the Gospel => Ambassadors of Kingdom.
· God wants us to change mentally – Kingdom Citizens.
· Must recognise our relationship – rights and responsibilities.
· Must embrace God’s purpose – family of sons advancing His Kingdom.