18 November 07
· The words we agree with in our hearts and speak with our mouth shape our future.
· James 3:2-5 - “We put bits in horses mouths that they may obey us”.
The tongue is like:
1) Bit in horses mouth.
2) Rudder on a ship.
The words we speak forth control the direction our life takes.
· E.g. Numbers 14:28 - “…just as you have spoken in my hearing, I will do to you”.
i) Joshua 6:10 - Israel forbidden to speak (negatively) prior to miracle.
ii) Luke 1:18-20 - Zechariah forbidden to speak prior to birth of John the Baptist.
2. There is Power in Your Words:
a) Proverbs 18:21 - “death and life is in the power of the tongue”.
· Your ability to speak is part of the nature of God.
· Your words carry power – to destroy or to build.
· E.g. Mark 11:21 - Jesus spoke words to a fig tree – he cursed it and it withered and died.
b) John 6:63 - “The words I speak have spirit and they have life”.
· Words that are spoken from the heart release “spiritual energy” into the atmosphere.
· Words we speak can attracted the presence of demons or angels.
· Words spoke create a spiritual atmosphere that motives are polluted.
· Words are seldom “neutral” – they impart the ‘spirit’ of the person speaking.
· E.g. Deuteronomy 1:28 - “Our brethren have discouraged our hearts”.
- Words spoken surface and reinforce issues people have in their heart.
- E.g. offence, negativity, unbelief, gossip, slander.
3. The Spiritual dynamic of “Put Downs”
· “Put Down” = a remark or act intended to humiliate or embarrass another person.
· Humiliate = to cause a person painful loss of dignity, personal value, so they feel shame, embarrassment or self-conscious.
· A major issue in NZ culture is “Put Downs”.
· Put Downs can take many forms but all have similar character.
i) Words are spoken – spiritually empowered by the heart of the speaker.
ii) A spirit of murder / death is released against the person being put down.
· Psalm 55:21 - “Words of mouth were smoother than butter, but war was in his heart his words were softer than oil, yet they are drawn swords”.
· Psalm 64:3 - “ Who sharpen their tongue like a sword, and bend their bows to shoot their arrows – bitter words”.
· The roots behind put downs are bitterness, hatred and envy.
· Hate is the root of murder – to deprive a person of life in any manner.
i) Put downs are a form of cursing.
ii) Put downs are an attack upon a persons identity to shame them.
· People who have been put down - tend to put others down (cycle of cursing)
4. 3 Common Sources of Put Downs:
i) Family Dynamics:
· Some families and cultures is filled with ‘Put Downs’.
· Men put down woman, woman put down men, adults put down children.
· Name calling.
· Nicknames – especially if the person is gifted or different.
· Abusive words.
· Genesis 37:4-5 - Josephs brothers hated him, could not speak peacefully to him.
· 1 Samuel 17:28 - David’s brothers ‘put him down’ for coming to the battle.
· Some cultures are filled with ‘violent’ put downs.
· Put downs are a form of control.
ii) Bitter Humor:
· Joy is one of the characteristics of the Kingdom of Heaven
– Romans 14:17
· Humor = ability to see the funny aspect of a situation.
· Humor can become ‘dark’ when used as a form of put down.
· Nehemiah 2:19 - “They laughed as to scorn and despised us”.
· Ridicule = to make fun of a person with the intention of humiliating them.
· Mocking humor or humor with a bitter edge “put people down”.
· Luke 8:53 - They ridiculed Jesus, knowing she was dead.
· Jesus’ response: “put them all out” – protected the environment so that the miracle of resurrection can happen.
iii) Tall Poppy Syndrome:
· Tall Poppy is a successful person or achiever.
· Tall Poppy Syndrome = Lords or nations that put down or equalize them into who stand out above others because of excellence or achievement.
Origin – reaction to British class distinction, reaction to people who project an ego, self-importance or desire to impress others.
· Evolved – reaction to any person who stands out from others as excellent or achieving in their field.
· TPS is a manifestation of bitterness and envy.
· Berry Franklin = “You cannot strengthen one by weakening another. You cannot add to the statue of a dwarf by cutting of the leg of a giant”.
· Envy = longing to possess what belongs to another.
· Jealousy – feeling of resentment that someone else has gained something you feel entitled to.
· Mark 15:10 - Pharisees manifested - TPS – envy of Jesus.
· TPS manifest when another person :
i) gets a new car
ii) gets promotion
iv) gets recognition
Who does he thing he is? Probably cheated.
· James 3:14 - Bitter envying and selfish ambition => TPS.
· 1 Corinthians 12:26 - One member is honored, all members rejoiced with it.
4. Dealing with Put Downs:
· “Put Downs” impart a spirit of murder that:
i) Wounds the persons spirit.
ii) Imparts shame – loss of value and esteem.
iii) Destroys initiative and excellence.
iv) Removes people from God’s positioning and shuts down their gifts.
· How you respond? – determines the course of your life.
· Two Options:
i) Receive the words / spirit of put down, agree with them.
‘I’m of no value’.
‘I never do anything right’.
Once a person agrees with the Put Down words they come into agreement with the demons behind them.
· They interpret all life / relationships through wrong belief.
· Innocent comments, actions are interpreted as Put Downs.
· Honest feedback is interpreted as Put Downs.
· Person is in agreement with the “Shame Message”.
· Need to:
- Repent of Agreement.
- Forgive and Bless those who cursed.
- Establish boundaries to Put Downs.
- Meditate on God’s Word.
ii) Reject the Words / Spirit of Put Down:
· E.g. David; Jesus; Nehemiah.
· Agree with God’s Words – encouraged.
· Minimize exposure to people who Put Down.
· Establish supportive relationships.