· God speaking to the Church about Supernatural life – Ordinary people doing extra ordinary things.
· Requires faith, compassion, holiness, friendship with God.
· Mark 6:3-6 - atmosphere of unbelief resists the supernatural – must develop faith.
· Jesus was undeterred by people’s attitude – remained focussed on purpose.
· People in His own countryside “offended” – resistant – cut themselves off from supernatural.
2. Impact of Disappointment:
Hebrew 11:1 “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for”
(i) Natural hope – positive attitude of expectancy – new events, achievements.
(ii) Spiritual hope – positive attitude of expectancy based on the Character of God.
Proverbs 13:12 -“hope deferred makes the heart sick”
Definition of Disappointment:
=> an appointment that never happened as expected.
=> something you anticipated / expected never happened.
=> something you didn’t anticipate / expected happened.
Disappointment Accumulate unless Resolved:
- when many disappointments occur there is personal impact.
i) Grief over the loss.
ii) Reactions out of hurt, pain over loss
* Distrust * Bitterness / resentment * Complaining, negative speaking.
Proverbs 19:3 - his heart rages against the Lord – unbelief exposed.
Rages = angry, sad looking, boil over.
iii) How a person self react from disappointment – won’t trust again – withdraw.
iv) From beliefs about people, about God that separate, hinder faith.
- the devil come to use as he came to Eve – Genesis 3:1 -“Did God say?”
=> Do you continue to trust God? Look out for yourself.
3. Disappointment = Opportunity in Disguise:
(a) Examples: People Made Bad Choices.
· John 12:46 - Judas – disappointed – sought personal gain – betrayed.
· 2 Kings 5:20 - Gehazi – disappointed – sought to extract $ from ministry.
· Numbers 12:10 - Miriam – disappointed – complained about Moses.
· Psalm 78:51- Israel – disappointed – hindered God, turned back in heart.
· Mark 4:12 - Believers – disappointed – unproductive and unfruitful.
(b) Examples: People Made Good Choice.
· Job 13:15 - Job – disappointed – trusted, changed, double blessing.
· Genesis 45:7 - Joseph – disappointed – trusted, forgave, promoted.
· Psalm 105:19 - Joseph – “tried” = to test or prove, quality of, refine metal.
· 1 Samuel 30:6 - David – disappointed – trusted – encouraged self in Lord.
“encouraged” = fasten upon, seize, courageous, to conquer, be scare in, become resolute.
· 2 Corinthians1:7-9 – Paul – disappointed – trusted, embraced the Cross.
4. How to get over Disappointments:
Luke 24:13-33 - Disciples on the Road to Emmaus.
· Disciples disappointed – travelled to Emmaus – hot-springs, comfort.
· Evidence of Disappointment:
i) Fellowship centred on disappointment.
ii) Reasoned – tried to make sense of it.
iii) Unable to see what God is doing.
iv) Countenance sensed.
v) Withdrawing from the call of God to place comfort / security.
Keys to Overcoming Disappointment:
i) “Come near” => Time in the Presence of God.
ii) “Communicate” => Responsibility for negative words and action.
iii) “Sad” => Face why disappointed – unmet expectations.
iv) “Fools” => repent of unbelief, self centres expectations and belief.
v) Expanded => Time in the Word of God, Purpose of God, Cross / Resurrection.
vi) Blessed and Broken => Renew your commitment to the Lord.
vii) Rose up and retrieve => renew your commitment to the Call of God.