Proverbs 15:13 “A merry heart makes . . . cheerful countenance but by sorrow of heart the spirit is broken”.
· The spirit of man can be broken = 5218 = wounded, damaged, driven back.
· When the spirit of man is damaged, his whole life is impacted.
· People turn to false comforts that don’t heal but allow demonic oppression.
· God is able to heal and restore the broken spirit.
· Nehemiah 1:4 - “When I heard these words I sat down and wept”.
- Nehemiah = ‘The Comfort of God’ – picture of the Spirit of God.
- God’s response to brokenness in people – identify and feel grief.
- God desires to enter broken lives and bring healing, to rebuild.
· Psalm 147:3 - “He heals the broken heart and binds up their wounds”.
- Heal = Rapha = to mend by stitching up their wounds, repair, make whole.
- Bind = to wrap around firmly, bandage an injury, govern.
- God is interested in every part of our life – especially parts that impacts relationships.
· 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 - “Blessed be God even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, the God of all comfort who comforts us in all our tribulations”.
- God comforts people – it is His nature to do this.
- All tribulations – all experiences of pain, conflict, pressure and stress.
- God is able to comfort us and bring hope whatever we face.
- God desires to work through us to comfort others – turn bad into good.
- Your testimony of healing gives hope to those in pain.
· Definition: Comfort = to come alongside a person in pain or conflict and soothe or ease their pain.
= To come alongside a person and impart strength, courage and hope.
· Comfort => You are not alone! I am here with you!
I will help you! It is going to turn out ok!
6 Ways how God Comforts us:
i) Direct Personal Encounter.
· Story of Peter Warenga – Leader of Mongrel Mob, encounter in Prison.
ii) Presence and Touch of the Holy Spirit.
· Acts 9:31 - The Churches has rest, and were edified, and walking in the fear of the Lord and the comfort of the Holy Spirit were multiplied.
· The Church had experienced a period of intense persecution.
· People were grieving over torture and death of loved ones and destruction of family.
· “Walking” => continued experiences of the Holy Spirit comforting and encouraging them.
· Supernatural touch of god and the Word of God.
iii) Word of God.
· Romans 15:4 - that we through patience and conflict of the Scriptures might have hope.
· The Word of God has power to comfort and heal when Holy Spirit comes on it.
· Personal Word or Rhema from God.
· Example of people without went through Lordship empowered by Holy Spirit.
iv) Prophetic Word.
· 1 Corinthians 14:3 - he that prophesies speaks to for edification, exhortation and comfort.
· A prophetic word releases the presence of the Holy Spirit.
· The word releases comfort, healing and hope – “God knows”.
v) Spiritual Fathering.
· 1 Thessalonians 2:11 - we exhorted and comforted and change everyone of you as a father does His children”.
· Spiritual fathers are able to speak words that stir faith, comfort and direction.
· Comfort = 3582 = to relate near, speak so as to calm and comfort.
· Charge = 3143 = to speak out of personal experience in life.
vi) Fellowship of Friends.
· Colossians 4:11 - These only are my fellow-worker unto the Kingdom of God which have been a comfort to me.
· Vital relationships are essential for support and comfort in Inner conflict.
· Fellow-workers => people sharing common vision, faith and values.
· People able to come alongside and strengthen and speak words.
4. Position yourself to be Comforted:
(i) Don’t refuse comfort.
· Genesis 37:35 - …..but he refused to be comforted…
· Locked into sorrow in believing a lie – making a foolish vow.
· Must choose to move out of the place of sorrow – receive comfort from God.
(ii) Express the hurt.
· 2 Kings 20:5 - …..I have seen your tears ....I will heal you
· Two ways to express pain: (1) Tears (2) Talk to God / People.
· Tears are an expression of our pain and desire to share it.
· Jesus wept. Don’t hold in the hurt, pain, let it go – tears are a very expressive language – takes courage to cry – admit feeling pain.
· Talk – not easy to put pain in words or to find those who will listen.
(iii) Believe you can be healed.
· Sin makes us unbelievers – easier to believe the negative.
· You must choose to believe you can come out of pain.
· God is good – He wants to heal broken hearts, He wants you to believe this.
· Exodus 15:26 “I am the Lord that heals you. Mark 9:25 -“If you can believe”
(iv) Forgive and Release People.
· Forgiveness unlocks us from pains of the past.
· Forgiveness conceals the debt – the belief someone owes us.
· Forgiveness is a choice, a decision to act against feelings.
· Forgive those who hurt us. Mark 11:25 - Release and Bless. Forgive self.
· Let go blaming God holding offence against Him.
(v) Feed on the Word of God.
· Being able to feed on the Word of God and allowing it to touch every area of your life – is essential to healing.
· God’s Spirit is always present to heal, but do not always experience healing because our heart is empty of healing words.
· God’s Spirit id hindered if we do not feed on the Word of God.
I.F.: Genesis 1 – Creation.
I.F.: Psalm 119:50 - This is my comfort in my affliction – Your Word has healed me.
Psalm 107:20 - He sent His Word and healed them.
1 Samuel 6:12