Acts 26:9-18 – Paul’s Encounter with Jesus Christ.
· Paul totally opposed to Christians – persecuted, tortured, murdered them.
· Paul experienced an encounter with Jesus Christ – Jesus identified himself with the Church.
· Encounter -> Revelation => transformation ->Mission.
· v16 – “I have appeared to you for this purpose to make you … now I send you”.
· Encounter without Mission => No Purpose – Self indulged.
· Mission without Encounter => No Power => Frustration
1) Encounter led to Revelation.
2) Revelation led to Transformation.
* Minister = 5257 = underearsman in galley.
* Witness = 3144 = person with 1st hand experience / martyr.
3) Transformation led to Mission – I will send you.
* Send = 649 = apostello = to send out on mission.
· Bible Examples: Encounter => Mission
1) Joshua 2) Gideon 3) David 4) Solomon 5) Mary
All encounters were to bring about god’s purpose - send someone.
2. Israel – Encounter was for Mission:
· Exodus 6:6-8 – “.. I will bring you into the land”.
· Note the progression:
i) v6 – ‘I will bring you out (of Egypt) – salvation experience.
- God’s first step to save man out of oppression and bondage.
ii) v7 – ‘I will take you to me, for a people’
- God brings them into an encounter experience with Himself.
- Purpose of encounter – intimacy, identity – people of God.
iii) v8 - ‘I will bring you into the land’
- God declares His purpose in all this – Mission.
- Israel called to external Kingdom of God – invade Canaan.
- Israel = picture prophetic of the church: Encounter => Mission
NB: Encounter = To meet suddenly
To meet face to face
To meet your conflict
3. Moses - Encounter was for Mission:
a) God Ignites Burning Bushes to get our attention:
· Exodus 3:2 - The angel of the Lord appeared in a flame of fire.
· Super natural manifestation – bush burned – not consumed.
· God ignites people – bring them into our life. John 5:35
· God gets our attention through people circumstances.
· God wants your attention! –Are you too busy to hear?
· What is God using to get your attention? –people?,- leaders?, -conflicts?, - problems?, - pressure?, - all of the above?.
b) Encounter with God involves Choice:
· Exodus 3:3 – “Moses send I will turn aside and see”
· Turn aside => stop what you are doing, see what God is doing.
· Don’t be too busy to turn aside – enquire of the Lord – seek His presence.
· v4 - Lord saw that he was hungry – Huger for God got his attention.
· The Lord spoke to him – also wants to speak to you – call your name.
c) Encounter with God brings Change:
i) Aware of God’s Holiness (v5)
Presence of God reveals our faults, sin – don’t withdraw, hide. God still wants you to come near – Power works best in a pure vessel.
ii) Aware of Who God is (v6)
· God is an intergenerational God – impacted people in every generation!
· God who created heaven and earth – are all things possible.
iii) Aware of God’s Heart for people (v7)
· I have seen, heard – know sorrows.
· God loves people; He desires to set them free.
· God chooses to get involved – through a person – you.
- Jesus came unto the earth to reveal what God is like.
- Now, it is your turn to reveal what God is like.
d) Encounter with God leads to Mission:
v 10 – I will send you!!
· Throughout history – God encounters then sends.
· You are God’s answer to someone’s need.
· God’s purpose is to send you – ambassador – an assignment.
· God’s purpose is to send us – ambassador – an assignment.
Acts 4:31 - Encounter; Acts 5:14 – Multitudes added