Proverbs 15:13 - “By sorrow of heart the spirit is broken”
· The spirit of man can be broken – 5218 – wounded, damaged, driven back.
· When the spirit of a man is damaged, his whole life is impacted.
a) 1 Thessalonians 5:23 - The Nature of Man
i) Body => The visible physical expression of the inner man
ii) Soul => The soul fills the body – it has the shape, size and form and looks like me.
=> The mind, will, emotions fill the body – they are part of the soul.
iii) Spirit => The spirit fills the soul and body and gives life to them.
=> The spirit originates from God – has a spirit nature – not confined to the body.
b) Functions of the Spirit
i) Bare life to the body and soul. James 2:26
ii) Nourish and support the body and soul. Romans 18:14
iii) To connect and communicate with God. 1 Corinthians 6:17 – to bond in intimacy.
iv) To connect and impact natural and spirit realm around us. 2 Corinthians 5:16
e.g. 1st Manifestation is in your countenance. Psalm 34:5; Exodus 34:29
When people are full of life there is a spiritual “brightness” on their face.
e.g. 2nd Manifestation is in the atmosphere around you.
- People try to sneak up on you – you ‘feel’ them.
- People stare at you – you “feel” their presence.
- The area around you is owned - - “my Space”
- The ‘atmosphere’ around is impacted
e.g. angry; calm; self-pity; joy; sexual vibes
e.g. 3rd Manifestation is in the ability to move in the spirit realm. Colossians 2:5
- Spirit of man can enter haven, travel, see.
NB: When the spirit of man is wounded both body and soul are impacted. Proverbs 17:22 - “mercy heart - - broken spirit dries the bones.
Premature aging; vulnerable to sickness.
Proverbs 15:13 - “by sorrow of heart the spirit is broken”
i) Abandonment – when key people abandon us the spirit is wounded.
Psalm 142:4 - No man would know me, refuge failed me, no man cared for my soul”
- Children abandoned by parents.
- Husband abandons wife for another.
- Parent dies prematurely.
- Child separated from parent at birth – sickness, adoption.
ii) Abuse – when people who should protect instead of mistreat.
- Abusive Words Psalm 69:20
- Physical Abuse Ephesians 6:4
- Sexual Abuse 2 Samuel 13:20
- Mental Abuse Proverbs 18:21 – sickness, neglect, threats.
iii) Betrayal – when people who we trusted betray us the wound is deep.
Psalm 41:9 “It was my own familiar friend in whom I trusted”
- Betrayal can only occur between close relationships where trust exists.
- Adultery is betrayal. Malachi 2:15-16
- Betraying confidences, exposing secrets, speaking against behind your back.
iv) Rejection – when key people in life reject us the spirit is wounded.
- Unwanted child, untimely pregnancy, rejection by peers, broken relationship
v) Sin – Sin produces sorrow and can wound the spirit.
- Psalm 51:3 - ‘my sin is ever before me’
- Proverbs 6:32 - ‘he that commits adultery destroys own soul, a wound …’
vi) Trauma – Tragic events can deeply wound the spirit.
E.g. Accidents, fires, floods, natural disasters.
- John 9:3 - ‘not all bad things are the cause of personal sin’
(1) Sensitivity – “Touchy”
· Like the person is bleeding inside.
· No resilience – can’t bounce back.
· Easily re-injured by small things.
· Hurt and ache within never seem to heal properly.
(2) Constant Grief and Sorrow
· Constantly unhappy.
· Like a black cloud that lingers.
· Not impacted by others joy.
· “Gloomy” – Frequently sick.
(3) Inability to Trust
· Trust is the bridge in relationships.
· Trust is fragile.
· When trust fails, the bridge fails.
· No anticipation that things will get better.
· No way of escape.
·Doesn’t recognise there’s hope in
Isolation – detachment is a malfunction – relational trust.n – detachment is a malfunction – relational trust.
Deep inner part longs to connect to the Lord for love for life.
4. Comfort and Control:
a) God wants to Comfort:
2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 - “He who has loved us and has given us everlasting comfort and good hope through grace”
· God desire to give us both comfort and hope.
· Can refuse to be comforted by God or turn to Him.
· Where do you turn?
· How do you respond?
b) False Comfort are Idols:
· Comfort = to relieve the pain, refresh one-self.
To call alongside for help, relief, strength.
· People, things, and activities we attract to relieve pain.
· Quick fix – short temporary relief – don’t address issue.
· Promise relief increase pain and emptiness.
· Substitute for the comfort God offers.
· Idols – control and damage our life and relationships.
· Addictive – become a destructive habit – attachment.
· Open the doors for control by evil spirits.
(1) Revenge – retaliation - Genesis 27:42
(2) Sexual Sin - Proverbs 7:18
(3) Food - Exodus 32:6
(4) Alcohol / Drugs - Proverbs 23:29-33
(5) Fantasy - Ezekiel 8:12 – TV, Books, Computer Games,
Day Dream, Text
(6) Control - Deny the problem and suppress it
- Distractions – fill life with busyness
c) Can those bones live?
Verse 1-2 - Valley – full of bones – very many, very dry.
Verse 11 - Bones dry – hope is lost.
Verse 3-4 - Prophesy – breath comes into them. (Verse 10)
Need to repent of idols and turn to the Living God.