Proverbs 4:23 - “Keep your heart with all diligence for out of it are the issues of life”
= to keep close, guard from dangers.
· When our heart, inner man is wounded or damaged - every area of life will be affected.
· Luke 4:8 - The Ministry of Jesus.
· Anointed = empowered by Holy Ghost to accomplish God’s purposes.
· Reconciliation; Healing heart; Deliverance; Healing vision; Restoration.
· Jesus came to offer healing and hope to those who are crushed and broken.
· Definition of Hope = Confident expectation of something good is about to happen.
· Hope is an anchor for the soul.
- Hebrews 6:19 – Which hope we have, an anchor too the soul.
- Hope is to the soul what an anchor is to a ship – stabilizes.
- A strong anchor presents a ship being swept along by wind and seas.
- Without an anchor a boat/soul is in danger of shipwreck.
· People that are damaged, loose hope – hopelessness and despair.
· Without hope – people live for the present - Now, to feel good.
· Without hope – you cannot walk in a life of faith. Hebrews 11:1
· “God wants to fill our lives with hope and expectation”
· Jeremiah 31:11 – “I know the thoughts I think – peace – to give hope.
· Romans 15:13 - “Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing that you might abound in hope through the Power of the Holy Spirit.
· Abound = 4052 = abundance, overflow, to have so much of something that it overflows.
· Hope = 1680 = a joyful confident expectation of Good things from God.
· The Power of the Holy Spirit can overcome all despair, grief and transform us.
· Believers can become the most positive joyful confident people.
· Proverbs 15:13 - “a merry heart makes a joyful countenance…..by the sorrow of a heart the spirit is broken”
· The spirit of a man – gives his body life. James 2:26
- nourishes and support his life. Proverbs 18:14
- enables communion with god. 1 Corinthians 6:17
· When the spirit of a man is wounded his whole life is impacted.
· Sorrow = 6094 = idol, pain, wound, grief, despair, suffering.
· Broken = 5128 = wounded, afflicted, driven back by painful experience.
· When the spirit is broken the effect is:
(1) Inward - Proverbs 17:22 - “broken spirit drieth the bones”
· Merry heart = 5050 = joyful, full of gleam, rejoicing.
· Does good = 3190 = makes beautiful, good, brings pleasure.
· Drieth = 3001 = to dry up, wither, remove moisture.
· Mind, Emotions, health are all impacted by a broken spirit – sickness, premature aging.
(2) Out ward - Proverbs 15:13 - “merry heart makes a cheerful countenance”
· Your face reflects your inner condition.
· With a merry heart the face glows – sorrowful heart the face dull.
· Medicine = 1455 = cure, healing, remove the bandages from wound.
· When a spirit is broken the life and energy to rise up and overcome is lost - needs God.
· Example: Genesis 37:34-35 “Jacob refused to be comforted in his grief”.
4. How the Spirit is Wounded:
Proverbs 15:13….. by sorrows of heart the Spirit is broken.
(1) Abandonment – human spirit is wounded by abandonment.
· Psalm 14:4 - “no man would know me, refuge failed me, no man cared for my soul”.
· - Children abandoned by parents
- Husband abandon wife for another
- Parents die prematurely
- Feel God has abandoned then - Hebrews 13:5
(2) Abuse – human spirit is wounded by abuse especially by those suppose to protect.
· - Abusive words – Proverbs 18:21; Psalm 69:20 Reproach has broken my heart.
- Physical abuse – Ephesians 6:4
- Sexual abuse (2 Samuel 13:20 - Tamar; desolate, deserted, devastated).
- Mental abuse – silence, neglect, threats.
(3) Betrayal – human spirit - when we are betrayed by friends that you trusted.
· - Psalm 41:9 - it was my own familiar friend in whom I trusted
- Betrayal comes through the closest relationships - Matthew 26:49-50
- Adultery is a betrayal - Malachi 2:15-16
- Betraying confidence, exposing secrets
- Speaking against a person behind their back.
(4) Sin – sin produces sorrow and can wound the spirit.
· Psalm 51:3 - My sin is ever before me – Daniel overwhelmed by sin.
Proverbs 6:32 - he that commits adultery – destroy own soul, wound.
(5) Traumatic Experience – traumas can result in wounding.
· John 9:3 Not all bad things are a result of sin, judgement of God. Luke 13:1-5
· Accident, Crashes, Fires, Floods.
(6) Rejection – rejection deeply wounds the human spirit.
· Psalm 27:10 - when my mother and father forsake me.
· Unwanted Child, Broken relationships.
5. God offer Hope and Comfort:
Psalm 147:3 He heals the broken in heart and binds up their wounds.
· God offers hope - He is able to heal and is willing to heal.
· “He heals” - Jehovah Raphia - I am the Lord that Heals.
“to mend by stitching; to repair; be a physician.
· Broken Heart - to burst; brake in pieces; crush; tear.
· Wounds - pain; injury; sorrow.
2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 - he has loved us and has given us everlasting comfort and good hope through grace.
2) Good Hope