Ephesians 2:8-10 - “….created in Christ Jesus unto good works that we should walk in them…”.
· Note the progression in these verses:
(i) ‘Saved’ - brought into covenant relationship by faith alone.
(ii) ‘Workmanship’ - something uniquely and individually made by God.
- a progressive creative work of art.
(iii) ‘Good Works’ - God saved us for a purpose – an eternal purpose.
· Walk = to be occupied with…. – a lifestyle.
· Good => Excellent in everything.
=> Beautiful because of the purity of heart and life.
=> Confirming honour and value upon others.
=> Free from any hidden agenda.
=> Bringing help or advantage to others.
· God has purposed that your life bring honour to Him – by Works.
· Not saved by works – but created for a lifestyle of good work.
· God expect you to participate with Him – Advancing the Kingdom.
2. Spectator or Participator?:
· Which kind of person are you?
i) Spectator – one who looks on as an observer of others.
ii) Participate – one who shares / contributes with others in a common purpose or activities.
i) Discover his unique strengths and develop them.
ii) Participate in the Mission of the Church to advance the Coming of Christ.
3. Whom should I help?:
· Galatians 6:10 - ‘Let us do good to all men – especially those who are of the household of faith’.
· 1st priority is the family of God.
· Care for one another is a witness to the world.
b) People in need:
· James 4:17 - ‘to him that knows to do good and does it not – it is a sin’. - The ability to do good => responsibility to do it.
- Help the poor / oppressed / troubled / distressed.
- Finance the Gospel to the community – nations.
· Proverbs 3:27 - ‘Withhold not good from them to whom it is due when it is in the power of your hand to do it”.
Withhold = to hold back, refuse to participate, keep back.
· Key: must be lead by the promptings of the Holy Spirit – John 17:4 – by the principles of the Word.
c) People unable to repay:
· Purity of motive – no agenda.
i.e. Repaying good what someone else did.
i.e. Expecting to obtain benefit in the relationship.