Matthew 8: 18. “When Jesus saw the multitudes he
gave commandments to depart to the other side”
- Other side = Purpose/call of God on Life – personal and
- Don’t settle in past success, achievements, comfort zones,
place of convenience.
- Genesis 11:31. Terah settled in Haron – place
that reminded him of the lost of his son, disappointment.
- Terah died there – would not resolve his
grief/disappointment and move on.
- Cross over = Command of the Lord to depart from the
- Stop pleasing people, living to accommodate the crowd,
embrace Gods purpose.
- Resist pressures to compromise for the sake of people,
- You are not product of culture – you are the expression of
the one who called you.
Matthew 8:23-34. Four experiences God has
for those willing to crossover.
1. Opportunity to Exercise and Extend Faith.
: 24. “Behold there was a great tempest in the sea”.
- Tempest = 4578 = seismos = shaking earthquake, to shake,
- Great = Mega = major shaking
- There are two types of Spiritual shaking.
(a) Divine Shaking
- Hebrews 12:25-29. “I will shake the heavens
- Characteristics: Source is God.
- Purpose = Expose/Grow
- Cannot rebuke Divine Storm
- Opportunity to deepen faith (e.g. Jacob)
- Key Exhortation in verses 28-29
- ‘Receive’ – Take to you the kingdom of God – Gods ways,
order for life.
- ‘Hold’ - Take hold of grace – draw near to God expect his
- ‘Serve God’ – focus life on eternal priorities serving
God, build church, extend the kingdom of God.
- Respect for God – new reverence and awe of god.
(b) Demonic Shaking
- Characteristics: source is devil
- Purpose = Distract, oppose, destroy, discourage, fearful.
- When it’s rebuked it calms.
- It’s an opportunity to exercise faith.
- James 4:8. Humble self under God – resist the
devil and He shall flee.
- Miracle is an opportunity to grow in the kingdom
- Each miracle is stepping stone to the next level of faith.
- Crises – seems hard, doesn’t care! – God silent = expects
us to act.
- “Little Faith” – Jesus expected them to act – to speak out
2. New Doors of opportunity.
- :28. When he came to the other side – he
entered the country of the Gadarenes.
- Jesus broke into new territory – part of the land of
- New doors of opportunity will open in 2006.
- Doors that were previously shut will open – must seize the
3 keys: (1) Prayer (Col 4:3. Pray
that the door of utterance would open.)
(2) Holy Spirit open opportunity (2Cor 2:12. Doors opened to me by the
(3) Adversaries (1 Cor 16:9 – many adversaries.)
Don’t hold back
push out to enlarge.
3. Recognition of Spirit Authority in Christ
(:29) “Behold they cried out. What have we to do
- Demonic spirits recognised
authority Jesus came of.
- People look for possession, position, titles – what counts
is revelation with God.
- E.g. John the Baptist – hidden work of God then
emerged in power.
- E.g. – hidden work of God then also emerged in power.
- People who have been hidden: are being prepared and
beginning to emerge with new authority.
- Authority in Spirit comes from intimacy, brokenness,
- Acts 4:13. They perceived they had been with
- Gods plan is to reveal his wisdom to spirit powers by
Christ (Eph 3:10)
- Need a revelation of our authority in Christ. Eph
1:17-19. a stand up
- You are not a victim – You are an ambassador of a Kingdom
4. Release of Supernatural Power.
Job 22:21-28. You shall decree a thing and it shall
2 Areas of Miracle to stretch out for
(1) Miracle of deliverance/freedom
- Man was delivered and released.
Mark 9:23. All things are possible if you can
(2) Financial situation changed.
- Upheaval in local economy when pigs died
- Gadarenes involved in raising pigs – forbidden in moral
- Power of Spirit greed/covet broken by divine shaking
- One situation changed – new ones open
- E.g. Joseph – divine wisdom – planned financial enlargement.