Empowered to Obedience
2. Our Standing in Christ - Righteous:
Romans 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith we hope.
However you can:
NB Your liberty/freedom is for a purpose - good works
3. Our Conduct in Christ - Righteous:
2Cor 6:1. “We as workers together with him beseech you also that you do not receive the grace of God in vain.”
a) In Vain = fruitless, no effect or understanding
b) Mistake many believers make - God did it all - I don’t have to do anything
a) Grace = Power to obey
· Rom 1:5 “Received grace and apostleship for obedience to faith among all nations.”
· For = 1519 = into = to enter into something, a direction.
· Purpose of grace is to empower you to obey Christ.
· Don’t say “I Love Jesus, he accepts, he forgives “ can do what I want”
· Faith and obedience go together.
b) Purpose of Grace = Godly living =(Fruitful for Christ)
· Titus 1:11-12 Grace of God has (i) appeared (ii) teaches us
a) World Concept:
· Do what I want, when I want, how I want, free from any restraint, restriction.
· People who do this are never satisfied, “never enough”
· People come into church - often hold world’s way of thinking.
· Proverbs 16:25 “What seems right”
b) Biblical Freedom
What it is not!
Freedom is not lawlessness
Lawlessness = without the law = conscious effect to put aside or neutralise law of God
= make Gods Word/ways into something that suits me, suits my life
= Creating false freedom by rejecting any restraints, doing what I please
= Become a lover of self - self willed.
E.g. Redefine sin = mistake, personality conflict.
E.g. Direction given by leader - “I will go and pray about that”
Turns grace into pseudo spirituality cover for independence, pride, self centred. (Jude 4)
Titus 1:11-12 Grace teaches us to live godly - not tolerate sin.
b) Freedom is not legalism
= You have to do this, do that, don’t do that - all external
= It is a dead form - no power and produces death, condemnation.
What True Bible Freedom Is!
Titus 1:11-12 Grace teaches us = to train us as a child - to live godly
= to be put into that which you were purposed for
= to be put into something bigger then yourself
Gal 5:13 Called unto liberty only use not liberty as occasion of flesh but by love serve one another.
- to become part of the family he is building
6:18 Free from sin so might serve God
Bring forth fruit to holiness