Right With God
Romans 5:17 “... much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one Christ Jesus”
· You can reign in life: reign =936= to rule, to exercise kingly power.
· Key = “Receiving” not “Working” i.e. to receive an empowering from God.
· E.g. Jesus: Jn.1:14 .. full of grace and truth – enabling power of God.
· Grace = the empowering of God to overcome sin and fulfil the will of God.
= Everything God calls me to do – I can do it by the grace of God
· Eph 2:809 By grace you are saved through faith
“process = Hear – Believe – Receive.
► Faith is the key to accessing the grace of God (power/abilities).
► Grace enters our life and changes and empowers us.
► Saved = sogo (Gk) – deliver, heal, provide, protect, make whole, keep safe.
► We need the grace of God (ability) working in every area of life.
► Must receive it by faith – by believing and confessing.
· Galatians 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God.
· Frustrate =114= to set aside, neutralise, do away with something needed.
· How to frustrate grace? – stop it flowing? – trying to make self right with God.
2. How To Be Right With God
Romans 5:21 Grace reigns through righteousness – must be right with God – source.
(a) Peace is the Fruit of Being Right with God … we have access to grow”
Romans 5:1 – 2 “Being justified by faith we have peace with God …”
► Righteous =1342= to be right; not crooked, not twisted or perverse.
► Consequence of being righteous is peace with God.
i.e. Peace = 1515
- to join together, set at one again free from conflict
- to bring to harmony so free from guilt, fear, uncertainty
· When there is peace with God -
► You have boldness (Prov. 28:1)
► You have access to Grace (Ro. 5:2)
(b) The Gospel Explains how to “Get Right” with God
Romans 16:17 “…for there in is the righteousness of God revealed”
“Revealed” = 601= To take the cover off something
To open up something previously covered and hidden
· The Gospel reveals how to come into right relationship with God – be righteous
· The Gospel reveals the judgement of God upon all ungodliness
· Notice the growth – from faith to faith
· Process : Hear Word of God – Believe – Confess what God says
· Faith does not happen by trying but by believing
(c) You Can’t Get Right by “Trying” to be Good
· Rom 3:20-25 “By the deeds of the law no man is justified”
· No one gets right with God by trying hard – “works”
· The Law – reveals sin – it does not empower you
e.g. “Wet Paint” – don’t touch
· It depends upon the flesh – your own ability and effort.
· It rejects God’s way of getting right (Rom 10: 2-3) – “not submit to it”
· God’s way of getting right is by faith – believing – start that way – continue that way.
(d) Example of Abraham
· (Rom 4:3-8) “Abraham believed God – it was counted to him for righteousness”
· Abraham’s actual performance was quite poor – glaring failures
… Notes …
… Notes …
- things God said not to do – he did/ or
- things God said to do – did a different way
i) Failed to initiate move - Gen 11:31 ii) Took his family – Gen 12:1
iii)Procrastinated at Haran – Gen 11:31 iv)Went to Egypt – Gen 12:9
v)Lied about his wife – Gen 12:13 vi)Adultery with servant – Gen 16:2
3. How to be Free of Condemnation
· Condemnation =2631=
- to judge against, judge worthy of punishment
- to find fault and failure and sentence to be punished
· Most people struggle with thoughts and feelings that condemn
· People often ruled by a list of laws; do’s and don’ts; “ought – ought not”
· When people feel bad – have to do something “dead works”
- World – get rid of the laws = lawless
- Christians (a) Try harder = defeated, under power of sin (Devil accuses Rev 12:10)
(b) Believe for Grace of God to empower them
· Mt 5:17 Jesus – not come to do away with the law but fulfil it.
· Law “Don’t Kill” Fulfil law “Don’t hate” (the seed of murder
· Seems even harder! Higher standard because
- Power of sin broken – Rom 6:14
- Access to Grace – Ro. 5:21
· Romans 8: 1-4
- Now no condemnation (i) In Christ
(ii) Set mind to trust power of God
- New Law = “Life in Christ = the grace of God empowering
- Stop trying – learn to believe the Word of God and confess it
(i) Christ overcame sin
(ii) Christ is in me
(iii) His life flows in me!