Positioning yourself to be Blessed
Gen 12:1-4 The Great Commission – 1st time made known in the Bible.
(a) Top line: “I will Bless you” (What Abraham received)
(b) Bottom line: “You will be a blessing – all families of the earth” (What God received)
· Gods desire is for people he can work through who will partner with Him to fulfil his purpose – bless the nations of the earth
· Gods intention to Abraham required a response – a commitment from him
· Gen 12:1 Get out from your country, your kindred, and your fathers house
· A commitment to (a) Let go. Security. (b) To Trust God (c) Walk in obedience
· Gods’ promise of blessing was intergenerational and intentional.
· Blessing = Supernatural favour of God on every aspect of your life.
Not just one thing you do – it is a lifestyle of following Christ.
(i) Personal Faith in Jesus Christ
· Eph 1:3 He has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in heavenly places in Christ
· Gal 3:13-14 Blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles through Jesus Christ
· Sin has separated man from the presence and power of God
· Christ’s death on the cross broke the power of sin, of satan and every curse.
· : 26 You are all children of God by faith in Jesus Christ.
· To come into blessing you must be born again – receive Christ as Saviour.
(ii) Separation from Sin
· Rom 6:23 The wages of sin is death
· Sin is breaking the Laws of God
· Sin separates us from the source of blessing
· Ps 1:1 Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly.
To position self for blessing we must be willing to separate
(a) From personal sin (Acts 3:26 – Blesses you in turning you away everyone of you away from his sin)
(b) From destructive influences – counsel of ungodly, way of sinner.
· A conscious decision to separate from those practices that offend the Holy Spirit.
· “Cheap grace” – person wants blessings, benefits of God without changed lifestyle.
· Grace is not permission to sin but empowers us to obedience to God.
(iii) Meditation in the Word of God
Ps 1:2 But his delight is in the Law of the Lord and in his law does he meditate day and night.
· Delight = 2656 = pleasure, valuable thing, something to be deserved
· Meditate = 1897 = to ponder, imagine, revolve in the mind, talk
· Meditation on the Word of God enables it to enter your inner man
· Meditation is a key to building and developing your inner man.
(iv) Obedience to the Word of God
Luke 11:28 Blessed are those who hear the Word of God and keep it.
· Hear = to be able to hear; to understand what is said, to consider what is said
· There is a strong connection between commitment to obey and ability to hear.
· Must first commit to obedience then the Holy Spirit gives further revelation/insight.
· Matt 13:9-13 Whosoever has – more shall to given
· Knowledge and insight was given to the disciples – who chose to obey
· Those who have no heart for obedience – what insight they have are taken away.
· When you continue in sin, then you lose insight and drift further away.
· Jn 14:21-24 He that has my commandments and keeps them is he that loves me.
· Loving Jesus = Hears his word and obeys them.
· Result is manifestation of the person and presence of God.
(v) Faith – Putting Trust in the Lord
Jer 17:7 “Blessed is the man that trusts in the Lord…”
· Trust = 982 = to be confident, be secure, to go for refuge, to lean upon.
· Faith is the key that gives access to all the blessings of God
· Rom 5:2 “By whom also we have access by faith into this grace…”
· Faith = trusting, and speaking and acting on what God says.
= take a risk upon the character and reliability of God
(iv) Commitment to Building the Church
Ps 84:4 Blessed are they that dwell in your house
· The Local Church is the Body of Christ – the expression of Heaven on earth
· Our attitude to the local church = Or attitude to Christ the Head
· Neglect of the Local church removes us from place of blessing
· Hag 1:9-10 You looked for much and lo it came to be little. Why? Because of my house … and you ruin every man and humankind.
· Broken relationships in the local church hinders and removes blessing 1Cor11: 13 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you
· Ps133: 3 Brethren dwell in unity – Lord commands the blessing
(vi) Embracing the Great Commission
· Mt 28:18-20 Go – make disciples of all the Nations
· Lo it will be with you
· God’s desire is to bless the nations – save and prosper people
· When you embrace God’s purpose then begin to access the river of God’s blessings and favour (Ezel 47)