Phil 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me’.
(i) You were made for dominion – it is built into your being. (Ps 8:6)
- The thrill of achievement.
(ii) You were given a command to have dominion – to prevail. (Gen 1:28)
- Personal success – Corporate success – disciple nation
(iii) The ability to have dominion is the result of receiving and expressing the Life of Christ. (Phil 4:13)
· “Can Do” = 2480 = to prevail; gain the victory, to exercise force.
· “Strengthen” = 1743 = to empower, increase strength
· Must develop a “can do” attitude to life and its challenges.
· Must learn how to receive and release the Life of the Holy Spirit within.
2. What does it Mean – “Have Dominion”?
(a) Dominion = To exercise authority or have a prevailing influence as a representative of Christ, acting on His behalf.
(i) Dominion means acting as a “Representative of Christ”.
· Eg. 1Sam 17:45. I come to you in the name of the Lord of Hosts.
· David was a representative of God.
· David prevailed over Goliath – giant defiling Gods people and purpose.
· Christ has won the victory over every conflict of Life.
· 2 Cor 5:15. Henceforth no longer live for themselves but for Him.
- Christian Life is one of identifying with Christ – living for them
- v20. Now then we are “ambassadors for Christ”.
· We are an ambassador – one speaking and acting on behalf of another.
· There can be no victory or dominion struggling in our own strength.
· Represent = to be a substitute for, to present something again.
to exhibit the likeness of.
· You cannot represent Christ without closely attaching to him and identifying with Him. Agreement.
· “Who are you?” “Identify yourself”!
· Water Baptism is a faith action of identifying with Christ.
· Membership is a faith action of identifying with a local Church.
· Have you received Christ and identified with Him - I am a Christian
- I am a Disciple of Christ
(ii) Dominion Means Advancing the Course of Christ
· Jesus lived His Life for a Cause – advancing Kingdom of God
· “Seek and Save the Lost” (Luke 19:10)
· “Destroy the Works of the dead” (1John 3:8)
i.e. Ignorance, poverty, oppression, sickness, rejection, injustice
· God is interested in every area of your life and of Society.
Health Education Finance Government
· The Church has retreated and isolated itself from the community
· Community view of ‘church’ is pews, hymns, alters, poles.
· Church must engage the community in every area.
· “Is there not a cause?” (1Sam 17:29)
· Lost people matter to God – Paid immense price to save them.
(iii) Dominion means exercising authority or “prevailing influence”
· Dominion does not mean “dominion/control”
Matt 20:25-28. “… not so among you – whosoever will be great among you let him be your servant”.
· The nature of the Kingdom of God is a “serving heart”
· Jesus came into a world in need to “serve and give his Life”.
· The Spirit of God is a life giving Spirit.
E.g. Joseph prevailed over injustice. Gen 41:38-40
E.g. Daniel prevailed over enemy. Dan 6:3-4
E.g. Paul and Silas prevailed over opposition. Acts 16:25-26
· Bible abounds in people who prevailed and influenced society.
· Acts 19:10. All which dwell in Asia heard the Word of the Lord.
:20. So mightily grew the Word of God is prevailing.
· Early church arose and exerted a “prevailing influence in the region”.
· Dominion starts with Personal Victory
Expands when the Church influences the Community.
· Final Victory is already Revealed!
Rev 11:15. The Kingdoms of this world have become the Kingdom of our Lord and of His Christ and He shall reign forever.