· God watches over His words He means what He says.
· God repeats things which are important and which He knows we will resist.
Mark 11:23-26. Instructions concerning Faith commands/ Prophetic Decrees
· Believers are given great authority to change spiritual atmospheres, remove spiritual opposition.
· Key to release: Faith and Decree speak forth with authority of Gods word.
· Key requirements for Faith/ Prophetic decrees to operate Forgiveness
· V25/26. If you do not forgive neither will Father in Heaven forgive.
· This instruction is repeated. Matthew 6:12-14/ Luke 6:37/ Col 3:13
· God will not bless what He has not forgiven = No power/ life.
2. Personal Impact of Harbouring Offences.
· Proverbs 18:19. A brother offended is harder to be won than a strong city, and their contentions are like bars of a castle.
· 8 Recognisable Symptoms
· Spirit closed off lack openness, generosity, gratitude, appreciation.
· Cold love distant, cool holding a debt You owe me
· Speaks negativity about offender critical, magnifies their faults.
· Self promotion justifies himself, compares unfavourably.
· Defiles others by sharing offence. Hebrews 12:15. Root bitterness grows and defiles
· Retaliates seeks way to get back Revenge = the Trap (Romans 12:14-21)
· Easily angered or stirred by offences triggers the burned anger.
· Sows discord and division (Proverbs 29:22 angry man stirs up strife)
Proverbs 6:16-19. These things do the Lord hate/ abomination he that sows discord among the brethren.
· Discord = striving, competing, disagreement, disharmony.
· Offended people: resist the Holy Spirit wanting to build relationships
· Grieve the Holy Spirit who is a Spirit of Grace (Eph 4:30)
· Erode the unity and spiritual power that comes with unity. (Ps133, Matt 18:19)
3. Spiritual Consequences of Harboured Offences.
Matthew 18: Parable of Unforgiving Servant.
· Parable story with practical/Spiritual applications.
· Kingdom of Heaven = this is about the protocols/ expectation of Kingdom
= Significant insight to unlocking spiritual power into the earth
= Our actions can release blessings or cursing, life or death
· King = Jesus Christ|
· Servants = men and women who have experienced forgiveness, saved, serve the Lord
· Key question of Peter assumes must forgive but how many times.
· Jesus response = Forgiveness is foundational to walk in blessing of God
Servant 1: Debt = $4.5 billion dollars. 1 talent = 34kg gold
Master moved with compassion loosed and forgave the debt
Unforgiveness is like a debt demand for repayment
Forgiveness is releasing the debt
Loose = to fully free, release, cancel debt.
Servant 2: Debt = $20
Servant 1 refused to forgive and demanded repayment.
Forgiveness = Loose the person from the debt owed
NB: Compassion/ loving kindness/ is a pattern of the kingdom of heaven
Compassion is (1) Expected by God. (2) Has consequences if not given.
4. Consequences of Unforgiveness. Either have love or law (debts or debtors)
(1) Rebuked by Christ
v32 you wicked servant
- Wicked = 4190= hurtful, evil in influence, harmful to the King
- Lack of forgiveness is wickedness it has consequences.
- Expectation that kindness should be passed on.
(2) Holy Spirit is grieved
(v34) his Lord was wrath very angry
- Eph 4:29 do not grieve the Holy Spirit... Be kind, tender hearted,
- Hebrews 10:29... The Spirit of Grace!
(3) Forgiveness of Sins Cancelled
v34 delivered him to the tormentors till he should pay all.
- The forgiveness of sins is cancelled in court of heaven.
- The sins of the servant now stand unforgiven open to judgement.
- Mark 11:26. If you do not forgive, neither will your Father forgive you your trespasses.
(4) Evil Spirits have legal Right to Torment
- v34 delivered him to the tormentors. (Evil spirits)
- Tormentor = 930 one who extracts the truth by use of rack, torture.
- Tormentors = (a) Sickness no healing (Mt 13:15)
(b) Adversity no release (Mt 14:24)
(c) Evil people trouble. (2Pet 2:8)
(d) Mental/ Emotional torment (Rev 12:10)
(e) Spiritual deterioration resentment, retaliation, anger.
(f) Possible premature death (1Cor 11:30-32)
- Luke 7:47. Forgiven much = love much
- NB vs. 35. Applies to all believers, if you do not forgive from the heart.
- Romans 12:21. Overcome evil with good.