The Power of Your Confession
Hebrews 11:13 “Having seen them afar off where persuaded of them, embraced them and confessed”.
The Life of faith that pleases God is based on our response to the Word of God.
· Men of faith responded to the promises of god in a particular way.
· Promise = A living word from God declaring His purpose and provision.
· Bible abounds in promises to those in relationship with God.
· Men of Faith: (i) “Saw the promises afar off”- perceived what
God wanted to do.
(ii) Were persuaded = 3982 = convinced, make friend of, trust, rely, to yield to.
(iii) 'Embraced' = 782 = to enfold in ones
(iv) 'Confessed' =3670 = to acknowledge,
speak same word.
(v) Acted on what God had said to them.
2. Hold Fast a Good Confession:
Hebrews 10:23 “Let us hold fast the profession of our faith”.
· “Profession” = 3670 = homologia = to say the same thing.
=> Not just to repeat something you heard.
=> Speak forth words that God has sown into your heart.
=> You believe and embrace what God says with all your heart
· By agreeing with God's words you come into alignment with His will.
· God wants you to see it, know it, feel it, speak it, act on it.
· Holds fast = 2722 = to seize a stronghold, possess.
· God wants us to hold fast to what He has said.
· “Without wavering” = 186 = without wearing away, turning to flight,
ie. To hold fast the word of god until it is fulfilled in our lives – example = Bulldog;
6 Reasons to hold fast a Good Confession:
(i) Jesus acts on Words of Faith.
Hebrews 3:1 “He is the Apostle and the Priest of our profession”.
· Apostle = 652 = one who pioneers, lays foundation, breaks
through, a delegate.
· High Priest = 749 = one who stands before God the Father
acting on behalf of others.
· Our profession = 3671= homologia = Speaking what God Speak.
· When your heart and mouth hold onto the Word of God, Jesus can act on our behalf.
(ii) Angels act on Words:
Psalm 103-20: “Angels that excel in strength that do His commandments, hearkening unto the voice of His Word”.
· Angels are ministers (servants of God) that accomplish His will.
· Angels are sent to minister to believers.
· Angels hearken => hear and act on the voice of His Word.
· Giving voice to what God has said without doubting, empowers angels to act on our behalf.
(iii) Demons act on Words:
Ecclesiastes 10:20: “The birds of the air shall carry the voice”.
· Evil Spirits are empowered and activated by words spoken.
· E.g. Ephesians 4:26,27: Believers are warned not to give opportunity to the Devil by becoming angry and uttering negative words.
· “Neither give place” = 5117 = topos = legal ground, foothold to expand influencing.
· E.g. 1 Corinthians 10:10 “God's people were destroyed by the destroyer, because of attitudes and words spoken”.
(iv) Your Words carry Spiritual Power:
Proverbs 18:21 “Death and Life are in the Power of the Tongue”.
· Words can welcome life or death it can impact people and circumstances.
· E.g. A child can be deeply impacted by spoken words.
· E.g. John 6:63 Words the Jesus spoke are Spirit and Life.
(v) Your Words can Snare Your Soul:
Proverbs 18:7 “A fools mouth is his destruction, his lips are the snare of his soul”.
(vi) Your Words can Form Your Future:
Hebrews 11:1-3 This is a chapter of men of faith and their life.
= they transformed the period they lived in by holding fast to the Word God had spoken to them.