Ministering to the Lord
· The natural sacrifices reveal insights to the spiritual realities.
· There were 5 offerings – see Leviticus 1 – Leviticus 5
· Sin - compulsory– killed by sinner–Jesus or sin offering
· Trespasses - compulsory – killed by priest
– Jesus or trespasses off
(1 John 1:19)
· Burned - voluntary - Fulfilled by Jesus
· Meat - voluntary - Fulfilled by Jesus
· Peace - voluntary - fulfilled by Jesus
2. The Priest were called to minister to the Lord:
Exodus 29:1 “ - - set them apart to minister to me in the priests office”.
e.g. Exodus 5:22 “I will meet with you and commune with you”.
· meet = 3259 = appointment, engagement for marriage, meet by agreement.
· commune = 1696 = speak, answer, command, teach, promise, declare.
· Old Testament – God meet with one man – now all can meet with him.
e.g. 1 Samuel 3:1 The child Samuel ministered unto the Lord.
e.g. Acts 13:2 “ They ministered to the Lord and fasted, to hear what the Holy Ghost say.
· ministered = 3008 = Leitungo => liturgy to fulfill priest office.
e.g. Luke 10:41,42 “One thing is needful and many has chosen that good part”.
· Martha was disturbed, anxious, burdened by affairs of life.
· Many chose to spend time waiting upon Jesus – listening to His Words.
· Highest priority is the personal relationship with Jesus.
3. How to Draw near to God:
· James 4:8 “Draw near to God and he will draw near to you”.
· Initiative lies with us to approach God – He promises to respond.
· Drawing near to God is your priestly role.
E.g. Old Testament example of the Priest:
· Leviticus 16:12-14 “Take a censer full of burning coals fire – incense – and blood”.
· God required certain things of the priest.
1. Blood - sin must be dealt with or be cut off from God.
2. Incense - Prayer and Praise.
3. Burning coals - Fire of love, ignited by the Holy Spirit.
· Hebrews 10:19-22 “Having boldness to enter the holiest – let us draw near.
· Holiest Þ that part of the tabernacle where the presence of God dwelled.
· The Word of God tells us how we should approach God – Attitude.
1. Faith – “full assurance” = entirely confident, no doubt of acceptance.
2. Boldness = 3954 = liberty, speaking all that is in the heart.
3. Genuine = true heart = 228 = not concealing, no hypocrisy, genuine.
4. Humility = Hebrews 14:16 = aware of our vulnerability to sin, need of Lord.
5. Expectant = Hebrews 4:16 – to obtain all the help we need.
6. Respect = Psalm 24:12
· This is not some weak or insincere prayer – it is strong and confident of meeting with the living God and hearing from Him!
· God looks at our attitude of heart. (Psalm 66:18 “don’t hold iniquity”)
4. Ministering to the Lord:
Romans 12:1 “Present your bodies a living sacrifice”.
· Surrender = let go control and yield to what God wants.
· Your body – How you express who you are in the world.
· When surrendered to the Lord all our activities are done as unto Him.
· Serving the Lord is a Lifestyle – Surrender (Psalm 51:17 Broken and contrite heart)
Luke 7:38,47 Woman with Alabaster bottle – extravagant love.
· Many ways can express extravagant love to the Lord:
· Joyful noise - Psalm 100 = 7321 = to split the ears with sound, show.
· Singing - Psalm 100 = 7445 = shout for joy, triumph.
· Thanksgiving - Psalm 100 = 8426 = extend the hands.
· Praise - Psalm 100 = 8116 = to rave, celebrate.
· Tongues - 1 Corinthians 14:2,14 - Speak and bless Him.
· Tears - Luke 7:37 - weeping, washing his feet.
· Serving people - Hebrews 13:16 - do good, share.
· Confess Word - Hebrews 13:15 - Giving thanks = honologeo = speak
such as God’s Word.
· Gaining financially - Philippians 4:18 - a sweet smell, sacrifice, accepted,
well pleasing to God.
· Waiting on God - Psalm 130:5 - I wait for the Lord, in His word I do hope.