Kingdom of Priests
John 13:3-5 “Jesus - - Knowing he has come from God and went to God
· Jesus’ identity was based on the relationship with God not his purpose.
· Relationship come before and empowers your purpose in life.
· Jesus was secure in his identity and destiny so he was able to serve without an agenda.
· How you see yourself often affects how you relate and what you do. (Proverb 23:7)
2 Corinthians 5:16-17 “Any man in Christ is a new creation – old things has passed away”.
· New Creation = 2939 = something original, newly manufactured.
· God doesn’t patch up the old – He makes something new.
· Have new identity – new centre - new purpose in life.
· You must change you mind on how you think you see yourself and agree with God.
· You are His workmanship created in Christ into good works.
2. The 3-Part Purpose of God:
(a) The Gospel was Preached in the Old Testament:
Hebrews 6:1-2 “For unto us was the Gospel preached as well as to them but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it”.
· Gospel = Good News = Preached in the Old Testament as well as in the New Testament.
· Gospel requires response – faith – you must believe or you won’t receive benefits.
(b) The Message Moses Covered:
· The Gospel is based on revelation who God is and what His will is for us.
· 3 Parts:
1) ‘V6’ I will bring you out from under the burdens of Egypt.
“Saved from Sin”
· Egypt Ž The dominion of Sin and Satan over people.
· Saved – delivered from the bondage by the power of God.
· Miracles/Blood of lambs shed and Israel set free from Egypt.
· Feast of Passover.
· God’s purpose is more than just getting you saved!!!
· 1 Corinthians10: 1-4 God not pleased – fell in wilderness.
· People failed to embrace what God’s purpose was.
2) ‘V7’ I will take you to me for a people and to you I will be a God.
· Israel was called into a relationship/covenant with God.
· Called to become a Kingdom of Priests.
· Called ‘to be’ – to embrace new identity.
· No longer slaves, but Kings and Priests.
3) ‘V8’ I will bring you into the land – give for a heritage.
· Israel called to possess through battle an inheritance.
· Called ‘to do’ - to accomplish something in the earth.
· Called to arise in battle, disposes enemy and occupy the land.
3. We are a Kingdom of Priests:
* Third month = Feast of Pentecost.
* God reminds them of what He has done for them – served them.
* God reveals his intention: Covenant Relationship – kingdom of Priests.
· Kingdom = 446 = a dominion, a realm, people over which a King rules.
· Priests = 3548 = One who enters the presence of God and meditates.
i.e. Called to be: A royal priestly race of people.
A kingdom consisting entirely of Priests where
every citizen is a priest having royal dignity and
power for ruling.
· Not just a nation of priests governed by God but a body of priests advancing the Kingdom of God and blessing the nations.
· Peculiar Treasure = a costly possession, acquired with great effort and closely guarded.
Isaiah 43:4 Precious – honorable – I have loved you.
Deuteronomy 7:6-8 Holy people – chosen – special people – Lord loved you.
· 1 Peter 2:5,9 You are - - a holy priesthood to offer spiritual sacrifices.
You are - - a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, holy nation.
Ž We need to embrace who we are – covenant people – Royal Priesthood.
NB: Exodus20:18-20 Moses drew near – people stood afar off.
· Must embrace what it means to be Royal Priesthood.
4. Key Functions of a Royal Priest:
(1) Minister to God.
· Exodus 28:1 Minister to me in Priest office.
· Acts 13:2 Ministered to the Lord
(word = liturgy = experience priestly office)
(2) Carry Presence of God.
· 1 Chronicles 15:13-15 Priests come to Ark
· Ephesians 2:20-22 You are a temple-habitat
(3) Advance Kingdom of God.
Priest minister to God.
· Isaiah 61:1-6 Spirit lord anointed me.